• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sashimi has arteriosclerosis

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, the vet called this morning and we see him at 5:30. Not good.

Could a mod please correct the title on the thread to the correct term for the disease, atherosclerosis.

Thanks.

I don't think the good Lord himself could change Wasabi's attitude.

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I'm sorry. :sadhug2:

Don't blame yourself, I don't know about birds but my mother's adoptive family had atherosclerosis issues genetically.
My grandmother was one of the healthiest eaters I ever knew until later in life when her Alzheimer's reached a point where she only remembered how to bake a pizza... and then healthy again when she forgot that and was prepared meals were being delivered.
Diet/low fat/low cholesterol everything, fresh everything else... and she still had to have her arteries cleaned out at least twice that I know of before 'the year of the pizza.'
Just genetically predisposed to having high cholesterol for no reason. :(

It's possible that birds are the same, you've done the best anyone could but that can't overcome a genetic wildcard.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Both of my birds have had everything my vet has suggested, but they were unhealthy birds when I got them. Just do what you can do and the chips will fall where they may.

Hank survived for 15 years (and a happy little shizz most of the time). Jasper has survived for 14 years and is going downhill a little every time she has another bout with an infection, but she's a happy girl.

We can do what we can do, but we can do nothing more.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Terri, stop flaggellating yourself over this. The fault that allows Sashimi to have this condition is in his genes and it may have been put there deliberately by a breeder, long ago.

I was very new to birds when I adopted my second tiel, Chip, froma Petsmart. Chip as a Normal Grey and he sang so nice. It was the reason I bought him; I was looking for a cock to pair with Gracie to keep her company while I slept during the day for work. I did not know Petsmart got their cockatiels from a breeder that bred cockatiels for medical experimentation. I later learned Chip was bred from a line of tiels which carried a gene for atherosclerosis. Gracie and Chip produced 23 chicks for me and I kept all but six. I was so surprised when Chip literally dropped dead just after his eleventh birthday. He was sitting on a wall perch beside Gracie, singing his heat out and suddenly stopped singing and dropped to the floor. I rushed over and he was dead. His tongue was bluish, so I figured it was a cardiac event. When I had him necropsied, he had extensive atherosclerosis in his heart and his brain. My vet said she betted he was a special genetic line developed for medical research. When I contacted the breeder indicated on his band, they admitted it was true. Losing Chip was terrible, but the worse part of the story is that every one of the cock chicks he fathered has also died between the age of 10 and 12 years of atherosclerosis.

I learned my lesson. Buy from private breeders, not from pet stores. Better chance of a long life. Sashimi's father could have been from one of those medically established lines.
Just focus on supporting his remaining time and treasuring his presence.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Terrie I have knowen you long enough to know every thing that can be done will be done , remember this is life how many humans have it look at the dog world hip displeasure animalis get sick children do to it dosent mean a bad parent its the bad part of life
I know you would rather it be you than the bird id feel the same way
don't look at the end look for a new beginning that's what this is all about a second chance
big hugs hun wish there was something I could do praying all turns out for the best

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Lois what a hard lesson you experienced. I continue to spout about how people should stay away from pet store birds, far away. While I worked at Petco but not for them I saw the birds come in small little boxes from who knows where. I tried to read the shipping labels but that was no help. Some of those birds were there for over 1 year without finding a home. All they knew were a few and I mean very few toys and a seed diet. Anyone making a purchase of a bird stood a good chance at high vet bills for any one of the diseases they can carry. Of course there can be exceptions. I saw some people buy a bird the day it came into the store.
Atherosclerosis is a hidden disease in our birds and I am so sorry for the birds that do have it and their guardians also.