• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sashimi has arteriosclerosis

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Now what? As I write this, it is Sunday afternoon and I can't talk to the vet until tomorrow. I just found out about this today, after we picked up the boys from boarding while we were away.

Anyone have experience with this? According to the vet, he sees neurological changes in him. Sashimi is an adult male tiel. Age unknown, since he was adopted 10-12 yrs ago.

:(

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
:hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
No I personally have never heard of this in birds. Sorry to hear about it though. :hug5:

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
Dr Strunk worried about Allie having that. It's not unknown for birds to have it. :hug8:

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
:hug8: Hope there is some treatment to slow the progress of this and aid in his quality of life.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes birds get atherosclerosis, especially Greys & Amazons. It is usually because of inadequate diet. A human would go on blood thinners like aspirin for stroke prevention. There is however Spontaneous arterial disease in birds which is being studied to find out more about this. Hardening of the avian arteries is often detected when it is too late as the birds will die suddenly from stroke or heart failure. You are fortunate you vet caught it and you have time to make dietary changes and see that you bird gets more exercise. You want to go with foods that are not high fat like seeds and foods that have omega-3 fatty acids. I would check with you vet about dietary changes and increased exercise. I really do not know if there are any medications for this but the addition of herbal medicine cannot hurt. Good luck and I am so sorry this has happened to your bird. :) Atherosclerosis in Birds (Heart Disease) | Here is a very good supplement 31 – HEALx Omega3 Booster | Harrison's Bird Foods

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Atherosclerosis is not unusual in birds. Both my Jasper and Sarah's Rosie have Atherosclerosis. Hank developed atherosclerosis about a year before he died.

There are several medications that will help relieve the symptoms. Jasper is on a medication called Benazipril (CHF and high blood pressure). Enalipril is another medicationif high blood pressure is not involved. I see there are a couple of newer medications being used recently.

What is important with artherosclerosis is to keep their diet lean - lots of veggies and no fat, like seeds. Try to make sure they stay well hydrated.

Additionally, (unless your bird has very serious atherosclerosis) exercise is important.

A bird can live many, many years with atherosclerosis - or they may drop tomorrow. Jasper has lived with it for 12 years now.

Atherosclerosis in parrots. A review. [Vet Q. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The tiels and Wasabi all eat Harrison's. The vet knows that. The tiels get millet daily (not much.) They won't eat fruits or veggies, but I'll try again, based on what I find out is best. They also get one pellet berry a day, but maybe that will have to be eliminated. I will ask about the Booster product, thanks, Dianne.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
What - or who - is Rosie's fountain of youth?

Rosie is now retired from my birdshow and lives at home with us. She is not yet on medication for atherosclerosis as my vet did not feel it was needed however she is on oxygen twice a day. We have discussed enalpril being needed if her condition worsens, she goes in for yearly checkups but it usually ends up being twice a year. :) Currently she is doing great!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is an exray that shows Hank's atherscerlosis; note the arteries coming from his heart that seem to be cross hatched. I have another exray that has the atherosclerosis circled and I will try to find it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just spoke with the vet . It is almost for sure atherosclerosis. He wants to repeat blood work and put Sashimi on an antibacterial. Trigylcerides are thru the roof, both bile and uric acids up.The poor little guy has had so much wrong with him over the years, I feel like an awful parront. The vet says that is not so, but feels like I have failed him. :sad1: We have done everything possible. Fed him a diet the vet approves, (Harrisons and Pellet berries as a daily treat, just one) given him a big cage, toys and all that good stuff.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Don't blame yourself. Sadly these things happen. I hope the vet can help.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You have provided vet care......that is NOT a failure! Found early, just do what you can to fix it.

Maybe a changed diet will improve Wasabi's attitude...... :hehe: