• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sarcocystis > Opossums > Cockroaches

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I moved it to Healthy Highway and stuck it :)

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OMG!...my heart went thud when I scrolled down thru the forum and read the work Sarcocystis.

In the early 2000 I wound up with it and lost 175 cockatiels to it in the space of about a month. Cockroaches are NOT they only carrier of it. What I did learn it is a horrid disease, a real nightmare, and there is NO treatment, regardless of what is read...But I did learn that with tiels that mutations that were developed in Fl do have a natural resisance to it.

It's painfull to think about but I can detail my observations of what a bird looks like that is infected with Sarco, and also some necropsy pixs of the damage done internally.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
".............Cockroaches are NOT they only carrier of it".

"But I did learn that with tiels that mutations that were developed in Fl do have a natural resisance to it".
Yes, cockroaches are not the "only" vector/carrier (I did not mean to give that impression from the thread title, maybe I should edit title to add "etc." after cockroaches) but they are the main carrier - from everything that I have read over the yrs.

Interesting regarding what you say about some Tiel mutations developed in Fla. being naturally resistant to Sarco. I did not know that. Do you have a link to the study/research that proved that? Thanks.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Another thing that is not in most references as to this disease, even when I talked to the vets is that you can move the birds from the contaminated clean disinfected flight and STILL lose all the birds. What I learned after the fact that if I had also washed and disinfected all of the birds feet that I moved to the supposedly disinfected flights, I could have stop the progression of infection. How 1 bird contaminates another if they are in a flight is by their feet as they perch on the food/water bowls or perches. The next bird that perches in the same area gets contaminated. I also learned that it is NOT air-bourne. Birds can be housed up to 2 feet away from a contaminated flight or cage and not be affected.

As to cockatiels the only ones I found that were resistant were lutino, fallow, and splits to either of these mutations. Both mutations were developed in FL, thus I suspect that may be the reason why.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Angie8506

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angie
What do birds with this disease look like? Or act!? Can you sometimes tell before they die? I'm curious just learned of this disease and need it "dumbed down" for a blonde ;) haha :lol:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Weakness,weight loss, difficulty breathing, just to name a few of the symptoms. Though there are five known types, including one that affects the brain.
Read here~
Sarcocystosis