• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Saphira's home! (B&G baby)

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So adorable!:heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She is really beautiful.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Saphira is such a pretty girl :heart:

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Stress bars are so common in baby macaws, but even as adults, birds will sometimes get them. I've read an article once that said that every stress bar could be directly attributed to something that happened in the bird's environment - weekend visitors, owner goes on vacation, home remodeling... anything that causes stress will impact their metabolism. Saphira is beautiful!

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Saphira's making the most of her covid virus French Lockdown! I hope you and your families are all doing well. :heart2:I'm very busy with juggling all the animal's care and homeschooling my children right now... but we're lucky enough to have a big garden and occasional sunshine to enjoy. 20200205_201332.jpg

She enjoys "helping out" with the children's homework. :rolleyes:
20200327_161237.jpg
20200327_161341.jpg

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Too adorable for words! Makes me want another baby!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

BirdAtHart

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hi! Your baby is absolutely stunning!! I am new to AA and I spend a lot of time just reading through all the comments on threads, and I just read through all of this one. Back when she was I think 10 months old you mentioned her weight being around 940 grams and said you weren’t sure at what age they reach their full adult size... I’m curious, did Saphira get any larger after that? I am asking because I have a baby Catalina coming home soon who is currently with the breeder, and he is 10 weeks old today and I weighed him when I went to visit and he is 980grams already! Am I in for a very very large adult?? Lol. I didn’t find an exact answer when I looked online about what age they are full grown.
thanks!! And again, Saphira is so beautiful, and I can only hope to have the same great relationship with mine that you obviously have with her!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I'm not sure. @Shezbug

B&G on average max out at about 1.5kg

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Hi there! I havn't checked in for ages... so here is Saphira all grown up! she's now 3 and a half years old and still has the same sweet personality. She's a fantastic family bird that went through a divorce when she came home to us as a baby, 2 house moves, then getting used to living with her new "dad"... (that she's only just warming up to after a year and a half, having grown up around women and children...) and she just took everything in stride and thrived through it all. We love her so much! I've seen questions about her adult weight, she's never been a big B&G and now weighs 1kg150. She still very much enjoys her free flying, bossing our dogs and cats around, pinching toes when playing on the floor, her showers, her cuddles... and she still gets along with her patagonian friend even though they are not bonded, they enjoy each other's company. 20211016_195503.jpg 20210916_135654.jpg 20210416_193652.jpg 20200827_213301.jpg 20210808_210106.jpg

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
There are big animal welfare legislation changes going on in France just now and the new laws include a "positive list" of exotic animals that can be kept as pets... meaning that you will need to be a professional with a special permit to keep any non domesticated specie that doesn't make it on that list. The list hasn't been published yet but it's very likely that Macaws won't be included... we'll be able to keep our companions if aquired before the list is published but if anything happened to me, it means she won't be able to be passed down to another member of my family or rehomed as a pet to someone I trust. She would have to be adopted by a sanctuary or a professional of some kind... but many exotic birds and parrots might end up euthanised if these (non existing at this day) facilities end up full. It's super scary. Very sad for the great breeders working on conservation out there too because they can't solely rely on zoos and conservation programs to sell their parrots... without the pet trade, they won't be able to afford breeding. It's frustrating because we fear the black market will only get worse... and we already have strict legislation in place depending on the parrot species anyway. You need to register a Macaw, fill in a form and be approved before you can have one, you can't breed them without a permit, you can't own more than 6 as pets etc.

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
So... long story short... after a lot of thinking, we decided to add a green wing to our flock before it's too late. I was looking for a female, hoping Saphira would benefit from a lifelong friend with less risk of them pair bonding as mates would... but you know how the best thought out plans work out... of course I had to fall in love with this 5 month old big boy! he's already weaned and will be joining us in a month. We are very excited and happy to go through all the training from scratch once more and the adorable baby phase. Hopefully they will get along and happily soar the sky together in the future... and hopefully, we will all remain friends once they mature. I know I will never stop loving them and giving them the best life I possibly can whatever happens!
PHOTO-2021-12-03-12-15-19.jpg