• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Saphira's home! (B&G baby)

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The dangers of Avian avenue! :roflmao: t

You've got that right! Just stick around and you shall see! Heck, you might just end up with a flock approaching the size of mine in no time!

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
:coffeescreen:Oh nononono. No way! I have enough work as it is. :wacky: And you have four kids to... you must be super human or something.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Baby blue and golds are adorable - and Saphira is no exception!! Enjoy the sweet babyhood!!

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Try hand-feeding her as you eat some too. She'll like some warm, mushy things off a spoon too - like mashed yams and bananas with some nut butter. Show her how to eat them off a spoon, and gradually work into having her eat them out of her bowl. Is she acting hungry, making begging sounds and motions?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She is so pretty!

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
Oh my gosh she is just gorgeous! Congratulations :D

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
No she doesn't act hungry, doesn't beg and she's not loosing weight either. She just mainly eats pellets, she loves them. She loves nuts to. She's not a fan of sprouted seeds or fresh fruit and veggies, it's as if she isn't familiar with them... I'll try feeding warm mushy things and see how she reacts. Thanks!

I've tried giving her chop mixed in with pellets, bigger chunks of fruit by hand while eating them in front of her, vegies on a skewer to intice her to play with them... but nope. She'll taste what I give her then just ask for cuddles or play...

Last edited:

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I think you're already using a lot of good strategies then - just keep at it knowing she'll eventually realize those things are good. It can take my cockatoo a year to accept a new food...

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:heart::heart::heart:

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
She destroys everything on the skewer but I don't think she actually eats any of it. Haha Oh well, at least she gets a taste that way. She loved the banana I fed her for breakfast today so maybe the soft food is a good idea, she is still very young after all.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt loved anything soft and mushy when he first came home and even now he still loves warm mashed foods.

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
These two have really connected! I hope they stay close growing up together in the future...:heart: I woke up to find them like this. Eileen actually takes her out of the cage on her own, Saphira gladly steps up for her and joins in on whatever she's doing. Double the trouble! 20181219_120327.jpg

Last edited:

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I love her so much!!! I am currently going through an obsessive Macaw phase and these adorable pictures are dangerous! :D

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
[USER=17126]@Ella.pi[/USER] Valentine has to take a capsule everyday. I get a single frozen blueberry, run it under warm water for a few seconds then put her med in, she scoffs it up. Her routine is blueberry first while sitting on my shoulder then dinner but she has to eat the blueberry first.You might want to try the frozen fruit, she also loves the frozen mango chunks. The fruits are organic.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
These two have really connected! I hope they stay close growing up together in the future...:heart:
I hope so too! I love when children are allowed to interact with animals. I'm sure that will learn them caring and empathy.
Your girl for sure is a born parrots owner, give her a kiss from me and one to Saphira.♡

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Hello parrot lovers! fastforward 5 months... and baby Saphira is already 10 months old! she's doing great and is a joy to have around. She's still a big baby that loves to snugle and head bobs on my fingers from time to time. Still has a huge preference for softer fruits and vegetables too but she's becoming less and less picky.

The cutie hasn't grown into a huge macaw as she weighs 940gr just now. I don't know at what age they reach adult size and stop putting on weight? she's been going through a huge molt for the last month.

Saphira is very sweet tempered, she never nips too hard, doesn't scare easily, is never loud and lives full time in her outdoor aviary with my patagonian conure and two pionus boys. They rule the roost and boss the girls around at times but they all get on well. Chiloe and Saphira are becoming good friends despite the size difference but still prefer me above all else.

I've had a hectic life, having moved houses and am still dealing with a divorce so I havn't had enough time to free fligh train her outdoors yet unfortunately. However she's fully trained indoors so she's ready and just waiting for me to make the daily comitment. Until now, she hasn't been more chalenging than my little ones and I absolutely adore her.
Here's a video of the big baby...
Gros bébé... ❤

Last edited: