• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Saphira's home! (B&G baby)

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Finally! it's already been a week and i'm only just finding time to introduce her. :faint:
I was a little concerned as she's only 5 months old but she does seem to be fully weaned. (She doesn't beg for feedings, she's not lost any weight and she eats well. Weighs 800gr.) The little miss is still picky about eating vegetables but she loves playing with them. Haha

She's so adorable! afraid of nothing, gentle, curious about everything and affectionate, very quiet for now, playfull and adventurous... the whole family's fell madly in love with her. :heart:

Flight is an interesting process to say the least... she's extremely clumsy! it's hard to see her go through her daily crash landings! :omg:she loves to flap around a lot just building muscles too.

So far, we taught her to step up, perch on the scale and she's starting to recall on very short distances. It's a good start! it's such a strange feeling having a baby bird again by the way. So much to learn! she seems to enjoy playing independently with no fuss at times so i'm trying to not make her overly dependent by doting on her too much... it's hard! :laugh: I mean she actually rolls her head back and dozes off when you scritch her... who can resist that level of cuteness?

She was caged next to a little hans macaw and a caïque so she's really good with little birds for now. Actually, when they had out of cage playtime, the young caïque would run after her bossing her around and I never noticed her attempt to bite him. She'd just try to avoid the little terror like the big baby she is. I find that she's calm compared to my smaller birds at the same age.

I don't have great photos of her yet but here she is.
IMG_68571.jpg

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my god, she's so tiny! I can't believe Taco used to be that little!

What a little beauty. She's so cute! Welcome home and welcome to AA, Saphira! :heart:

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Does she realise that she's a bit big to be spending hours on end riding around on our shoulders? nope! she often tries to climb on our heads too... and she has this funny habit of patting my cheek with her foot when she wants attention. received_318566532327638.jpeg received_565271840586088.jpeg received_308818876400880.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome home Saphira!
Oh she’s so cute and teeny. I dont realise how much my baby has changed since May till I either see his old pics or pics of someone else’s baby B&G. They have such a sweet soft look when they are that young.
She really is adorable and I hope you thoroughly enjoy watching her grow and learn new things.
I really enjoyed reading your introduction of her, it gave me a big smile.....she sounds like a treasure.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Shes beautiful! I love her name.
My children are fans of Eragon and I thought naming her after a dragon was fitting. :p
Thanks to all of you! I still can't believe she's really here. All my parrots are amazing but i've been dreaming of macaws since I was a child so it feels very special.

Last edited:

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Love her! :heart:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's darling - I love her sweet expression!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
She's amazing; she hardly looks real. :xflove:

I like your idea of using the wood slice to weigh her. :tup:

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Yes the wood slice has worked well for all four of them. :) They feel very secure standing on the flat surface and it's easy to sprinkle rewards on it to make it fun for them.

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
The dangers of Avian avenue! :roflmao: thanks for the warm welcome everyone! she sure is a cutie. Her breeder also had an adorable 4 months old green wing. :xflove: Gosh I would have brought him home too if I was rich and had double the time available. Macaw babies all have the most sweet expressive faces! I love her giant feet she hasn't quite finished growing into.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
She's so adorable! afraid of nothing, gentle, curious about everything and affectionate, very quiet for now, playfull and adventurous... the whole family's fell madly in love with her. :heart:
Saphira has no idea (yet) how lucky she is and the breeder did an excellent job with her.
I'm so happy for her sake because I know what a great life she will have with you. ♥

Welcome home Saphira! ♥♥♥