• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sanitizing pine cones

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Suggestions on how to do this? I just can't spend money on them when they're everywhere here. I was thinking of brushing them out, putting them in the freezer in baggies for about a week. Then maybe bake?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I just freeze mine for a while to kill any bugs then spray well with F10 to kill germs and let sun dry. I do not like baking them.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Preheat your oven to 250 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Let cool to room temp before moving. Use caution, as the sap gets real hot & can burn you. Once totally cooled store them in a Ziploc bag. Baking will kill an insets & fungus, etc. My U2 loves these.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I just freeze mine for a while to kill any bugs then spray well with F10 to kill germs and let sun dry. I do not like baking them.
I'm apprehensive about baking because don't most ovens have a nonstick lined interior? Is F10 what I'm seeing as veterinary antiseptic?

Reactions: Ali

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I'm apprehensive about baking because don't most ovens have a nonstick lined interior? Is F10 what I'm seeing as veterinary antiseptic?
F10 is the vet grade disinfectant. I’m not sure if our pine cones are from different types of pine trees but even the stores that sell them here don’t seem to bake them.

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
Are these out in the wild? The trees that is. I ask as where I had recently moved to also has pine trees and cones everywhere! However, I’m in a planned community so there’s a very good chance management uses pesticides so I’m not touching any of them. I’d read somewhere it to skip them if so.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Are these out in the wild? The trees that is. I ask as where I had recently moved to also has pine trees and cones everywhere! However, I’m in a planned community so there’s a very good chance management uses pesticides so I’m not touching any of them. I’d read somewhere it to skip them if so.
Where I get mine there are no pesticides used on them. If they had any pesticides I certainly would not be using them. There are many places near my home where I can safely forage for pesticide free branches and other bird supplies.

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
Where I get mine there are no pesticides used on them. If they had any pesticides I certainly would not be using them. There are many places near my home where I can safely forage for pesticide free branches and other bird supplies.
Yeah I was quite disappointed. Legit I was like :geek: free toys! Nope, not so easy. I’m now in the middle of the desert and before that, NYC. Never lived anywhere I could forage for free toys :shifty:

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Can you maybe cook them? Or would that not be hot enough?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Can you maybe cook them? Or would that not be hot enough?
The pesticides would still probably leave toxic compounds or break down into toxic compounds. Without knowing exactly what pesticide and the concentrations well as being a confident chemist haha not worth the risk.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Never seen an oven or microwave with a non stick interior, only metal. You silly Americans!

(Hope i'm not offending anyone, was just a joke)
I'm not sure if ours do have non stick interiors, just being cautious :) I know you're joking, you've told me lots of goofy things about the Dutch, people are silly :D

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
We have a huge park here that stretches through multiple counties, and there are parts near me, so that's where I'd be going.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Could you boil them?
Hmmm.... I don't know that boiling water is hot enough plus then I'd have to be careful to get them totally dried out. I like all this thinking though!

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If there is any chance they may have been sprayed with pesticides do not use them. You can not bake or boil pesticides off pine cones.

Oven interiors are usually enamel, not non-stick.