• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Sandhill Cranes Fall Migration

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Today my dad, Roxie and I traveled out to Medaryville, Indiana to visit Jasper-Pulaski Fish and Wildlife Area, to view the yearly sandhill migration!

Dawn and dusk are usually the best time to go, as you'll see the most then. We arrived at 4:15pm, with night rapidly approaching. There were easily 100 people there, some with their children or dogs, many with cameras. I overheard one person say they traveled 3 hours to view the sandhills.

It was extremely loud, with thousands of sandhills returning to roost. At the last weekly count (November 23rd), there were 28,652 cranes counted by the DNR. If this year's patterns match last year's, there were easily as many, if not more.

I recorded around 12 minutes of footage, across two videos. I recorded in portrait mode, so I recommend viewing in full screen on your phone, with the volume up.

Here's my videos, as well as a link to the weekly sandhill count page.

Fall Migration of Sandhill Cranes

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Thank you, @taxidermynerd , for sharing this. I've been reading about the cranes. Wish I could go see them!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They have a very interesting call. Made my budgies go silent & listen - they could tell they were birds, but not from around here.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
I love the sandhill cranes. We have a refuge nearby where the Sandhills and the Whooping Cranes winter. The Whooping cranes are near and dear to my heart because I contributed (in a small way) to their recovery through research that I did in High School. So happy to see them when they return each year.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Its awesome to simply listen to them. Their sounds carry for miles!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Thank you for sharing! That is just awesome!! :heart: