• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sanctuary Birds Found Dead

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
If I recall, the policy was not to let anyone on the property for fear of upsetting the birds. Apparently, even if you were relinquishing a bird, you couldn't tour the facility.
That's a red flag.

Sugarbird

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
River M
This might be an unpopular opinion but I think many “sanctuaries” are really just fronts for animal hoarding. A sanctuary needs to be run by a board of directors in my opinion. This would at least help prevent one person from taking on much more than they can handle.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I feel badly for everyone involved, especially the deceased (human & avian). There are people who always advertise on online classifieds here that they take in unwanted birds, no questions asked, will pick up, etc. They never adopt any out, it is scary.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa

this is hard to read. these poor birds and this poor woman for her life to be reduced to this. there are no words

dutchlings

Meeting neighbors

this is hard to read. these poor birds and this poor woman for her life to be reduced to this. there are no words
holy crap. Those photos are absolutely heartbreaking.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
The whole story is heart breaking ...looking at her home being so hoarded it would seem to me that she just hoarded the birds too..was it ever a great place ..

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Direct link to the report for when that story falls off the front page

Please be aware that the report contains photos of dead birds and distressing information. It's clear that something went very, very wrong.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
How utterly sad & sickening.
Please not all rescues/ sanctuaries are this way.
There are some HUGE RED flags that were flying high with this place but no one saw them. Any rescue/ sanctuaries worth their salt allow people into view the birds. They are clean, neat and well taken care of. They have great volunteers coming in to care for the birds. Their licenses for operation is annual not perpetual.
In my eyes, this was clear unadulterated case of hoarding and mental illness. May the birds flying freely over the bridge.
If you are thinking of putting your bird into a rescue/ sanctuary please please do your homework. Look at every aspect of their operation, check their status with city, county & state records. If you see something for the sake of the animals SAY SOMETHING!!!!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It’s awful, but let’s not speculate. There is a human side to the tragedy too & a grieving family.
:sorrow:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have the heart to read these last 2 articles right now but will do so later. As @rocky'smom said not all rescues/sanctuaries are this way and none should be. I wonder how many people suspected something was wrong and did nothing..... I think whenever ONE person is running one it's a big red flag. Or at least an indicator of problems to come. It takes work to run a successful rescue. A lot of work. More work than one person can possibly do unless they are taking in a very small number of birds and that never seems to be the case. If there are good rescues near you- volunteer, donate, foster. They need the help.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I saw this a while back. It's terribly sad, it's a shame no one was able to find out before things got like that :(

Edit: just read the article tka shared... God what a nightmare. Several months... why did she refuse help? It's all just so mind-boggling and sad.

Last edited:

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
This brought back flashbacks to the WPR situation. I believe people who start sanctuaries are good intentioned. I don't know enough about the conditions of this place to comment on it. It could have been very well run before the person died. I don't know. But the problem with any sanctuary (and rescue) is they need money to be maintained. And often, that's not something people starting one are prepared for. They think people will just donate out of the goodness of their hearts and they can take in all the birds they want and everything will be fine and happy. It's not reality. And unless they have a fundraising plan, it's not going to end well for the birds. People don't want to think of a rescue or a sanctuary as a business but it has to be run like one to succeed. I am fortunate that the rescue I help with understands this and are always looking for ways to keep income coming into the rescue. (Which is why we sell toys at bird fairs, etc.)
I know it's an old post but what was the WPR situation?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
This explains it better than I can.

Warning, it will make you cry. What started out as good intentions- a bird sanctuary where people could leave their birds- became a horror story with 100s of parrots living in horrible conditions. Greyhaven rescue stepped up to save them. Our Danita's Coco is from WPR and I believe, Floyd.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I agree with the idea of having a back up plan and a "check in" particularly for those who live alone and have pets. I for one have always made sure that every animal on my farm has a water supply that would last 3-4 days at all time and for most of them their water supply is always a week. I did this because I was always afraid something might happen and I wanted them to have time to find my animals. It is truly scary that so many animals don't have that kind of protection. Every rescue needs to have at least two people to check on the animals no matter what. Sadly I witnessed this tragedy happen first hand to a golden eagle I work with. We had always worked with her in pairs but when I left, they put a new person in charge and he dismantled all the safety protocols we had put in place (despite my complaining of the risk). A year later he left without telling anyone and sadly since no one else was charged with checking on her my beloved Eagle starved to death despite living in a very public place. I was heartbroken and it all could have been prevented simply by requiring two people at all times.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with the idea of having a back up plan and a "check in" particularly for those who live alone and have pets. I for one have always made sure that every animal on my farm has a water supply that would last 3-4 days at all time and for most of them their water supply is always a week. I did this because I was always afraid something might happen and I wanted them to have time to find my animals. It is truly scary that so many animals don't have that kind of protection. Every rescue needs to have at least two people to check on the animals no matter what. Sadly I witnessed this tragedy happen first hand to a golden eagle I work with. We had always worked with her in pairs but when I left, they put a new person in charge and he dismantled all the safety protocols we had put in place (despite my complaining of the risk). A year later he left without telling anyone and sadly since no one else was charged with checking on her my beloved Eagle starved to death despite living in a very public place. I was heartbroken and it all could have been prevented simply by requiring two people at all times.
This one of the most heartbreaking things I've read. I'm crying for this poor helpless girl. Words can't even express how sorry I am for you to have lost her this way and for her to have suffered like this for no reason :(

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
This explains it better than I can.

Warning, it will make you cry. What started out as good intentions- a bird sanctuary where people could leave their birds- became a horror story with 100s of parrots living in horrible conditions. Greyhaven rescue stepped up to save them. Our Danita's Coco is from WPR and I believe, Floyd.
Oh, the one in Canada? I believe I have read about it and will check out the video. Thank you. So sad what happened with them and the WA lady. We almost relinquished a bird some years ago to the WA lady and thank God I couldn't wrap my head around the rule of no one being allowed inside... We kept him instead, until we find the right home.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
This one of the most heartbreaking things I've read. I'm crying for this poor helpless girl. Words can't even express how sorry I am for you to have lost her this way and for her to have suffered like this for no reason :(
Thank you for your thoughts. It took me a long time to recover from her loss. You just have to really love on the ones you have right now!!!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for your thoughts. It took me a long time to recover from her loss. You just have to really love on the ones you have right now!!!
Wise words indeed. You sadly never know what might happen tomorrow to anyone human or animal.