• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

San Diego Zoo Festival of Flight pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBS

Jogging around the block
I went to see the Festival of Flight on Sunday at the San Diego Zoo. I got some good pictures, but I need to learn how to use the settings on the camera.

The owl is a Eurasian Eagle Owl. It is almost the largest owl in the world, and it can carry off about 1.5 lbs of prey in its talons. Stanley, the owl, weighs about 4.5 lbs., but females are usually bigger.

I can't remember what types of birds are in some of the other pictures, but a few of them will be familiar to some of the members on here.

The Rose Breasted Cockatoos are 14 years old, and they are sisters called Strawberry and Raspberry. I found out that you can tell they're female because of their reddish eyes, or at least that's what the zoo keeper told me. One of the birds actually flew to my daughter as we walked over to them. My daughter didn't scream, and the keeper was surprised that my daughter didn't freak out. I guess that bird knew my daughter would like her.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
absolutely beautiful shots

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Awesome pics! I like the bird with the blue breast and two longer feathers,pic #8. Wonder what he is?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Beautiful pictures!

I like the bird with the blue breast and two longer feathers,pic #8. Wonder what he is?
He looks like an abyssinian roller to me.

Matt

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Gorgeous pics! Thanks for sharing.. :)

MBS

Jogging around the block
Beautiful pictures!

He looks like an abyssinian roller to me.

Matt

It was called something roller and it also had paddle tail or something like that in the name. The keeper was feeding the birds in the aviary and we got to see them catch bugs. They are so gorgeous and much bigger than I thought they would be. They are about the size of a Sun Conure, but thinner.

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
I've seen this also. It is a nice show :D .. however, you might want to upload your photos to the forum. It appears that they are no longer available from your photobucket account :D

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't see the photos ...:confused:

MBS

Jogging around the block
I don't know what happened. I must have moved them to a different album.

NikkiLS

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Beautiful pics!

cdsal_99

Meeting neighbors
Hello MBS,

Your pictures are lovely. Being a dove and pigeon enthusiast, I especially like the Nicobar Pigeon one; an absolutely beautiful dark-blue bird this is. I was also at the Festival of Flights event at the San Diego Zoo, but it was the same day they were holding the Tweet-up from Twitter talk with the zookeepers at some of the Zoo's aviaries on Saturday, November 13, 2011. Festival of Flights as a whole was a great event and hopefully the Zoo will repeat it in the future.

Sal

Status
Not open for further replies.