• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sammy's weight and peeling feet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Sammy my Lilac Crowned Amazon is currently flighted and has been for a year and a half. When I got her she was 318 grams, (which was underweight, according to the vet), so I put her on a better diet, changed her perches up, let her wings grow in. Now she seems a lot healthier, but she now weighs exactly 400 grams. Her flight muscles are very big and you can barely feel her keel bone. She flies constantly, back/forth from/to her boing/cage, flies to the floor to explore, flies to her playstand, etc. So, Is she still healthy?

She eats Zupreem Natural, a lot of homemade birdy bread, a homemade bean/rice mix (just made more today, haha). Plus she also gets an almond or 2 each day, (in her foraging bucket), and some seeds (hardly ever sunflower). She gets herb salad and 100% organic/natural bee pollen mixed in her rice/beans. She is out all day every day, (unless we are gone from the house) (I take her to my bedroom for snuggle time so the tiels can get out).

Also, her feet are kinda peeling a little, is that because of age? What can I do about that?

Sound like she is heathy?

Last edited:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
She sounds in the picture of health Victoria, and lucky to have you to worry about her!

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Thanks Ann! What can I do about her peeling feet? Would vitamin E capsules help (if I open it and spread it on her feet?)

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Victoria you might try giving Sammy a little flaxseed I know it is small but you could put it in her birdy bread.

If you on occassion get fresh salmon,you could offer some of that, I bake it or poach it, I don't do fancy things to it. Olive oil when baking no salt a little bit of lemon juice and some herbs, when I poach I just use water no salt a little lemon and herbs.

My guys look forward to fish night. This should help with the peeling feet.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Do you use the red palm oil in Sammy's diet Victoria? Put some daily on his favourite treat, it would help with his skin if there is a problem.:hug8:

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Yes, Ann, I put it in their bean/rice mix when it is still hot!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.