• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Same Sex Pair (CFW Zebra, Owl or Gouldian)

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
I am thinking about getting two finches and was wondering if there was a breed that was better suited for a male same sex pair? I like CFW Zebras, Owl and Gouldians so will be wanting one of these three. I will have a smaller cage at first most likely 24x16x28 but will be upgrading that later on to a double flight cage once I move. (just do not have the space right now for a larger cage) What finch out of the three would you recommend and that would get along with a same sex partner? Also out of the three which one is the smallest breed? I am think the owl finch are the smallest from the videos I have watched and is probably my favorite right now too. I have also read that they are hard to sex so getting a same sex male pair will probably be hard to do with them. There is a bird show in my area in February so that is probably when I will be getting them so just trying to figure out what before then so any advice is welcome.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I would recommend same-sex zebras and you not to get them until you move to your new place where they have a flight cage

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
I would recommend same-sex zebras and you not to get them until you move to your new place where they have a flight cage
I can see how a double flight cage would be a huge difference over a 24" wide cage but I do not think 6" would matter all that much since most single flight cages are only 30" wide. That is another reason I had thought that the owl finch might be a better fit since they seem to look the smallest on video. If I thought they would go back into their cage after I would let them out to fly a little too but that just seems like nightmare to try to catch them if they don't.. hehe

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Owls are the smallest of the 3 species. If you get them at a show people will say they can sex them and it’s probably not true. The sex is most obvious with zebras.

You do not think 6” matters because you are not the size of a finch. For the healthiest birds you want a minimum of 30”. Anything smaller and you’re putting your needs ahead of theirs.

I don’t recommend Gouldians in this case.

Many of us here let our finches fly free. You have to keep them to one room at first. They go back on their own because the cage is where the food and water are.

you wouldn’t do that until they’re settled in of course. I think @fashionfobie has a thread with some finches flying around. Also @Atomiklan let’s his and has lots of photos.

Be sure to read about feeding finches. There are lots of threads and recipes on this site.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I started flying my finches in just one room. Now they have pretty much full range of the house in the morning. They do well once they feel comfortable and have an idea if where their nest is. I keep two male zebras. They love building their little nest together. If free flying them indoors be very cautious about crumbs. Some human crumbs are not finch safe, ex:coffee. Also they can land behind things which could harm them. So be sensible and consider your home from the eyes of your finches.

Owl finches are super cute! I saw a wild flock in Noosa it was fantastic! I don't know much about their care. I am pretty new to finches.

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
Okay so the CFW zebra sound like the best bet and I will look at some better cage options before buying anything for sure. It might be best just to wait till I can get the double flight cage for them. I think the cheapest I have seen them is about $300 and the one on the PetSmart website was an A&E and about $400. There is the smaller Prevue Pet Products Hampton Deluxe on Amazon for $155 too but it is only 37" wide compared to the 60" of a double flight cage but a lot more affordable.. idk

Do any of you know of a good quality double flight cage?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@fashionfobie Owl finch care is the same as your 2 current finches. Except they are so tiny!!! I've never had my own but kept 2 for a friend, she wanted them to breed and thought they'd do better over here. ??? Maybe they think its in the water at my house!!!

@Bryan Black Crazy prices. I'll look around in a sec, but I took 2 of the XL Prevue (You had linked the large earlier) and zip tied them together for 72" total.... you can't do that with the Large from what I understand. Should be some good Christmas sales going on.

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
This is on sale.... Double Timbertown Treehouse Bird Cage, Double Bird Cages, Stacked Bird Cages, Breeder Cages, Bird Cages

Have you looked locally for a used cage? I just sold 5 flight cages for $50 each, one wasn't even used. So I know they're out there.
That is the one I mention that was $300. They might have something at the bird show but I doubt it would be anything super cheap. I have been keeping my eye out for used but nothing has come up so far. That is one reason for thinking about the smaller cage was to give myself time to find something larger.

I have read that the owl finch can be hit or miss with breeding and seem to do well for a few years then stop for no apparent reason.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is one reason for thinking about the smaller cage was to give myself time to find something larger.
Then wait until you get a decent sized cage before you get any birds. Please don't put them through the stress of a small, unsuitable cage just because you want them now. Their happiness is going to depend on you, and the environment you can give them.

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
Well the bird show is only once a year I think but I have till February to figure it out.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Some shops offer layby systems, maybe you could get the dream cage on system that is more affordable for you.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Personally I wouldn't purchase birds from a bird show. Having that many birds from different vendors in one airspace is a huge risk for disease and the last thing you want is your new friends getting sick!

If it were me, I'd go along, identify the vendor(s) that I like, are knowledgeable and are practicing good husbandry and have responsible breeding practices, and purchase birds from them outside the show. This also puts less pressure on you so you don't feel that you must buy your finches there and then or lose out. If you go along and find that the only vendors selling the species that you're interested in have dirty and/or overcrowded cages or the birds look sick, just walk away.

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
If you look up the local finch society you may be able to find caring finch people, who have pets available. I think getting birds from an active finch society member will get you on the correct track, because they care enough about their birds to participate in society activities. You don't need to go to the show to get birds.

I will also add, I adopted my zebra Zippy from the RSPCA. He had a broken wing and was dumped on a vet's down step. When I saw him I instantly fell in love. He is a fantastic little finch. I am not sure how old he is, but that doesn't bother me. Adoption is a great option if there are any finches you can help. My other finch Peppy was from a breeder. I bought him as a friend for Zippy. Peppy was from a breeder who was passionate about Zebra finches. She had been breeding for 20 years. There are benefits in waiting for the right bird.

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
This is all just new thoughts for me about getting the finch. When I bought my parrotlet last year there was only one place that I could find that even sold parrotlets and that was an hours drive from me at a pet shop. I probably could get them to find me the finch I wanted too but they don't carry them regularly and you would have to take what they get kind of deal or feel bad for them special ordering for you and not taking them.

There is also a Petco 45min in the other direction that would likely have some regular Zebra finch but I don't know if they would carry the CFW Zebra and no place will have the owl finch for sure. Buying the larger cage is not that big of a deal but if I don't find the birds I want then I am stuck with a cage that I don't need. (I know first world problems, lol)

I guess finding a breeder at the bird show is a good way to go. The only other option was to use one of the online places like The Finch Farm to get them but again you are buying sight unseen then too.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Are you on FB? There are lots of finch groups there. Finches Only is one. BUt since PETA bought into FB, the sales are shut down so people just show the photos. Most sellers I think moved to MEWE. You can easily find finches there.

Also you could just post on Craigslist finches wanted.

Rarely, a petco will have mutations. There were black cheeks there once.

My personal opinion - a finch that is well cared for in the smaller cage for 2 months is better off than sitting in a pet shop or traveling from show to show with a trader.

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
I called the pet shop that I bought my parrotlet from and they do usually have finch but were just out when I got Pip. This takes the pressure off of me having to get them in February so I will wait till I can get them a double flight cage. :)

I think I am going to get one CFW and one regular Zebra male so they will be easy to tell apart.