• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Saline nasal spray

Fadedmmries

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Angie
Is it safe to use a human saline nasal spray on my cockatiel?
He has had a recurrent "stuffy nose" which the vet flushed, then gave him antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications for. He took the course of them and was doing well until about 2 months later he started with same "Pfft pfft pfft" sounds and I can see the white crusty boogies stuck inside.
I've been giving him small doses of the anti-inflammatory, giving him his spray baths (to hopefully moisten the crud), I have an humidifier going just about 24 hrs a day, I've taken him in the shower with me to sit in the steam like she suggested. The only other thing I can do is give him more antibiotics (which I wouldn't give to myself bc they're really bad for the gut) or spend another $200 (which we just literally do not have so we'd have to borrow from relatives if they even could) just so they can flush his nostrils again (which was only $22 but there's the automatic $100 fee just to be seen, plus whatever other stuff they use). I feel so awful. I just want to help my baby bird (he's 15 yrs old, not really a baby but always will be to me). It just must be so uncomfortable having this stuffy nose for so long and listening to his breathing with it just breaks my heart.
Is there anything else I can try at home? What about saline in like an eyedropper so it's just "moistening his nares" to break it up without using force or too much water? Would the saline be enough since misting plain warm water doesn't seem to be doing much.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcome2: Angie! I wouldn't use a nasal spray on your cockatiel. I have been told that nasel flushes are painful for the bird, so I avoid them if possible. I have an Orange-winged Amazon with a mostly blocked nostril. I find showering (spraying) him helps to unblock it. You could also try nebulizing with F10 maybe at 1 part F10 to 250 distilled water. I nebulize Ollie nightly (1 part F10 to 125 distilled water) as he also has Aspergillosis. I would choose not to use antibiotics if possible since they wipe out the good bacteria as well as the bad. If the nasal discharge is clear it usually means there is no infection. If he has just finished a course of antibiotics, I would add probiotics to his food for a few weeks (at least as long as he had the antibiotics for) to rebuild the colony of good bacteria.

Fadedmmries

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Angie
What is F10? How do you nebulize it? (I know there are machine's for humans) Also, he had the antibiotics at the end of Nov he was fine until the last week of January then it started again. So it's been almost a month and I've done the steam and misting everyday, he gas had a handful of days without breathing stuffy. I don't see any color, byt he has been sneezing A TON. Which I assume is good for him to get the crud out. I did see a boogie fly out of his nare the one day, it was sort of funny but he just keeps getting stuffed back up.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
What is the humidity like in your house? If its dry it may be the reason for stuffy nares. You can run humidifier near the cage, it may help. Just make sure its super clean no residue, change the water daily. Also old fashioned steam vaporizer works wonders.
F-10 is bird safe disinfectant.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
F10 SC is a disinfectant, antifungal etc. In the UK it is recommended to nebulize it for a wide range of respiratory problems. I used to use this one:

Allpets And Aqualife Vets

before they brought out this one especially for nebulizing:

F10 Antiseptic Solution 100ml | scarletts parrot

Interesting info for each. Not sure what the difference is though (really don't think there is any difference - just a marketing ploy).

As long as you don't buy the one which has added cleaner F10 SCXD Cleaner (at the bottom of the list on this ebay link):

f10 sc 200ml veterinary disinfectant | eBay

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Ooops and yes, I use a nebulizer for humans and stick the mask through the cage bars.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I believe that you need some type of box to nebulize a bird. Putting the nask thru the basr of the cage will not work. @Hankmacaw

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The humidity in your home can be measured just like the temp. If it is lower than 25% I run my two humidifiers. Above 30 % is better.

Most over-the-counter saline nasal sprays are isotonic, which means the solution is the same saline concentration as in your body. Hypertonic versions have a higher concentration of salt than what's in your body. Both types can help clear mucus. Saline sprays also help keep the cilia in your nose healthy. So you do not want to put a isotonic solution in your birds body. Also I would check the filters in your furnace and other potential allergens you bird may be reacting to.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

I believe that you need some type of box to nebulize a bird. Putting the nask thru the basr of the cage will not work. @Hankmacaw

I use a plastic container (like from Walmart) to nebulize my birds. it is much more effective than sticking the end through the cage, which doesn't concentrate the medications. The picture below is set up with her oxygen concentrator, but you would do the same with your bird's nebulizer. Just get a size that is comfortable, poke a hole in the end ore side and put the end of the nebulizer hose through. Put a few toys or something to mess with inside.

Oxygen_04.JPG

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have always used the regular saline solution (.9%) to flush Jasper's nasal passages with. Was prescribed by the Dr.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I cover the cage with sheets and towels when I nebulize to contain the vapour. Ideally it's better in a covered travel cage (you can wrap bubble wrap around it) or container like Hankmacaw has, or even a fish tank.

Last edited: