• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safety of oil filled heaters?

AGS

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ava
Our heater has something wrong with it (my mom turned it on and it immediately smelled like burning plastic and the fire alarms went off). Long story, but it would be easier to buy portable heaters for now rather than getting it fixed. I live in AZ so it doesn’t get that cold, but Widget is already ill (atherosclerosis) so I’m not sure if I want him being cold all winter. I just did some quick research and found an oil heater that is recommended, however I’ve never used a heater like that before so I’m not sure if that’s the best option and if there are any risks. I would get a heat panel for him but he’s usually not in his cage. One website mentioned carbon monoxide being a risk but other websites say they don’t emit any gasses. Also even on the top rated ones there are some reviews saying they caught on fire, leaked oil, etc. although I assume it’s not that common? Is this the safest option or is there something better? And any safety precautions I should take?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’ve used oil filled heaters my whole life and never once have I seen an oil heater leak... sure it can happen but it’s really very uncommon.
If they’re used the way they’re meant to be they are wonderful heaters. They even come with timers and fans now which they didn’t years ago. I have two at my house that run all winter!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Oil filled radiators are very safe.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I also have one for small apartment and it works just fine. Never even had a bad odor when I first turned it on.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We purchased 3 De'Longhi 1500W oil filled radiators. One did leak after only using it one winter. However the other 2 have lasted at least 10 winters & still going. The ones we have are basic on/off. You can select 600W or 1500W. A heat dial 0-5. They now make them with a thermostat, timer, etc. They do get hot to the touch. You need to place it close to a window or outside wall, but about 3 feet away, so as not to catch curtains on fire. Radiators use cold air, heat it & then it circulates in the room warming eerything.

AGS

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ava
Thank you! Any other recommendations on brands? I believe the one I found was the same brand you mentioned Toy. I’ll see if it’s the same model.