• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safety inside Tulsi’s house

TulsiVana

Meeting neighbors
Hi! I’m wondering about toys and perches that have wing nuts and washers, that I secure on the outside of Tulsi’s house- the screws are in her house- she likes to occasionally chew on those metal bits- do you ever put something on the wing nuts that are inside so she can’t hurt herself climbing around or chew on them and hurt her beak? I’m posting a picture so you can what I’m referring to. Thanks!

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I haven't thought about it much. ..I guess because mine haven't , that I've noticed.

You do want to make sure only stainless steel.

How about hanging stuff she can chew right there sng kinda disguise it?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Mine all usually leave those alone, although occasionally a budgie will flirt with it because it's shiny.

Like Pixiebeak mentioned, just make sure it's stainless steel and not galvanized, and it should be fine. A lot of people use stainless steel toys since their practically indestructible :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I would only worry if they are not a bird safe metal (Stainless Steel or nickel plated), had jagged bits of sharp steel (should not have but worth checking anyhow if they are not premade hangar bolts) or if your bird undid the wing nuts and could cause the toy to drop or fall.

My birds (macaw, cocky and a budgie) all like playing with stainless steel toys, they generally wont bite them hard enough to hurt themselves but they do enjoy swinging them, tapping them and fiddling with them- Stainless steel toys can be a really good addition to your birds play things.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The wingnut looks fine... but the clip behind is not a good choice.
They come on many toys, but are dangerous, birds beaks get trapped easy and can't be freed alone.
You can still use those toys/swings, just change the clip part for a safer clip.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
The wingnut looks fine... but the clip behind is not a good choice.
They come on many toys, but are dangerous, birds beaks get trapped easy and can't be freed alone.
You can still use those toys/swings, just change the clip part for a safer clip.
A risk I've experienced
Sh yes, a good reminder for me to switch to plastic c loops...