• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safety concern

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
A little while ago I came up with a fun little foraging toy that I made a few of for the budgies. A cupcake pattie filled with some beads, seeds, and a couple other things, and then I would close them. But after I had given it to them and Winston had finished his, he got the pattie stuck on his head, thankfully he got it off by himself. I haven’t given them any since. I am wondering if I there's anyway they can still have them safely, is only under supervision the best option?
DSC_1440.JPG
DSC_1441~2.JPG

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hehe that is a cute pic. Did he panic or just try to shake it off? Burt gets stuff stuck on his head all the time, things like small boxes, my clothing, my headbands and other random things but he usually just shakes them off or puts his head down and walks backwards to get out from under the special hats he makes for himself.

If there was no panicking and he can get it off then I really do not think there is too much to worry about. Maybe put a few slits up the sides so they are easier for him to get his head in and out of.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Hehe that is a cute pic. Did he panic or just try to shake it off? Burt gets stuff stuck on his head all the time, things like small boxes, my clothing, my headbands and other random things but he usually just shakes them off or puts his head down and walks backwards to get out from under the special hats he makes for himself.

If there was no panicking and he can get it off then I really do not think there is too much to worry about. Maybe put a few slits up the sides so they are easier for him to get his head in and out of.
It was a few days ago so I don't remember very well. He did bump into the cage walls a few time, but he didn't seem to panic.

Yeah, I didn't know whether to laugh at him or quickly help him, it was slightly cute.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I honestly would continue to make them but if you are worried a few cuts down the sides will make them easier for him to remove if he does turn his head into a muffin again. He really is the cutest birdie muffin lolol

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I honestly would continue to make them but if you are worried a few cuts down the sides will make them easier for him to remove if he does turn his head into a muffin again. He really is the cutest birdie muffin lolol
You’re cracking me up now! :rofl:

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Sorry but the second pic... :coffeescreen:
Adorable :heart:

Shez gave you sound advice. It'd be a shame to deprive them of this enrichment. I'd consider the cups a threat only if they were rings and could get stuck on a budgie neck (making them panic).
Just as a side note.. I honestly believe you'd remember if Winston really panicked.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my word, that last photo is too cute!!! :xflove: Little muffin-headed baby :)

Maybe tie the papers closed? That way, they have to be torn to get to the treats, and then no whole papers would be left?

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I attach mine to toys, but little Winston is adorable!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Another 'safe' toy I gave to my Lovebirds-- the little plastic ring after the scotch tape is used up--- DON'T!!! My lovebird got it stuck around his neck! Thankfully, he was tame enough to let me remove it!

BirdWorld

Omg a birb muffin! Adorable! :heart2:
Maybe tie the papers closed? That way, they have to be torn to get to the treats, and then no whole papers would be left?
I think this is a good idea :)

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Thanks everyone for the advice! I made them some more this morning and tied them shut, they were enjoy very much and there was no more muffin heads. Obsidian even played with them and he not much of a toy bird.
DSC_1512.JPG
DSC_1513.JPG
DSC_1516.JPG

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So cute to see your ferocious budgie predators stalking their muffin prey! :xflove: