• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safest way to clean a sink for bird bath

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
How should I properly clean my sink so that my bird can safely bathe in it? Do I just use soap? Or do I have to use actual sink cleaner? How long until I can bring my bird in there so that there are no chemicals left in the sink? I just want to make sure that the sink is safe before I let them bathe in it.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Baking soda, rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse again,,good to clean your pipes too!

SteveearE

Moving in
Real Name
Steve Earsom
Some of the safest methods I have used to clean birdbaths are to install a small fountain in the birdbath (or you can also use a water circulation pump), which creates movement in the water, preventing the uncontrolled formation of algae and especially insects that cannot use the birdbath as a breeding ground. Next is to use copper. By throwing in a few cents, copper pieces will help keep the birdbath clean because copper has an antibacterial surface. I had a concern about this, but it doesn't seem to harm the birds. And last but not least, regular maintenance of the birdbath.

SteveearE

Moving in
Real Name
Steve Earsom
Some of the safest methods I have used to clean birdbaths are to install a small fountain in the birdbath (or you can also use a water circulation pump), which creates movement in the water, preventing the uncontrolled formation of algae and especially insects that cannot use the birdbath as a breeding ground. Next is to use copper. By throwing in a few cents, copper pieces will help keep the birdbath clean because copper has an antibacterial surface. I had a concern about this, but it doesn't seem to harm the birds. And last but not least, regular maintenance of the birdbath.
Aside from the potential health issues, I want my bird bath clean so birds will never be turned off by it. I want to provide fresh and clean water for my avian visitors. Clean water helps them keep their feathers in good condition when preening. It also helps them remain hydrated.