• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

safest cage for Linnie

SpecialK

Sitting on the front steps
My Linnie, Vinny, suffered a freak foot injury in his Pervue Hendrix cage's wiring where the top is attached to the side. Thank goodness we were home and got to him quickly to release his foot. He has been left with a toe that turns backwards; we're just relieved the bleeding stopped quickly. He's a tough guy birdie - eating, drinking, chirping. Is there any cage out there that might be safer? Please advise, we were all so traumatized and can't bear the thought of him getting hurt again.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that happened to your little one. I just recently got a Linnie myself and he's loving his HQ flight cage. I've had 5 birds in this cage 3 Conures,1 Senegal and 1 Linnie and no one has ever had any issues like that. I swear by this cage and it's all ill ever use personally unless I went custom.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you!
You're so welcome. There is a lot of variations of flight cages but I'd trust HQ,Kings and A&E personally. I'm not a fan of the thinner gauge wired ones or that have the multiple flimsy feeding doors.
The only "downside" is they don't have outside doors to swing out the food and water bowls if you have an aggressive bird or one that's prone to escaping. I've never had that issue and I just put my SS screw on bowls on the lowest area by the bottom door and just reach in and change them that way but I know that's not possible for everyone especially if they have to have someone else watch their fids.
There is another type of flight ish cage that has outside feeder doors but I can't think of it let me tag @webchirp I know she has them :)

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
The ones I have been buying have 5/8" bar spacing. The bars are thicker but I'm so disappointed in the paint. It just isn't lasting. As many cages as I've gone through, I should have just started picking up used stainless Which I think I will try to start doing. I need to take three of my cages in for fixes. But for size and door access, I like these. You also have to be careful with the bottom tray as it falls right on out at a certain angle.

SpecialK

you're so kind! Vinny thanks you!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The ones I have been buying have 5/8" bar spacing. The bars are thicker but I'm so disappointed in the paint. It just isn't lasting. As many cages as I've gone through, I should have just started picking up used stainless Which I think I will try to start doing. I need to take three of my cages in for fixes. But for size and door access, I like these. You also have to be careful with the bottom tray as it falls right on out at a certain angle.
Ah thanks for that Chandra! I had thought they were 1/2 inch as well. Glad you mentioned that.

SpecialK

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no, I'm so sorry about Vinnie. I have a white King's cage, 2818, for my single Linnie. It's a great size, seems safe and does have food access from the outside. I got it more than 3 years ago and it looks brand new.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
This past Feb I got a 32x21 A&E flight cage, and I love it. It's very basic, no fancy swirls in the wires or anything, and my linnies really like it. So far zero safety concerns. I also have an older HQ cage, the 22" wide open top model, and it's also very safe as far as I can tell. I used it for over a year , probably closer to two, for linnies.

Sorry about Vinnie's toe, so glad you were there when it happened!!

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Oh, I also tried a Zeny brand cage because at the time my space accommodated only that exact size. Although functional, it is definitely lacking in quality. Overall it does not fit together as nicely or tightly as the nicer brands, and the wire is much wimpier. Also the grate has a lot of wiggle room side-to-side, which I hate. I kept a pair of Linnies in it for awhile without issue, but I would not buy another.