• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safest Bird Bowls & Safest Cleaning Methods?

Birblover

Meeting neighbors
I've read that plastic can be unsafe because it's harder to clean away bacteria, and can be harmful as it deteriorates faster (mine chew them), so I've switched to stainless steel bowls, but do still have one or two newer plastic bowls I still use.

I would like to know the safest bowls I should be using for my birds.
Is stainless steel the best choice? Should I throw out all the plastic?

I clean the SS bowls daily in hot water with soap and put my plastic bowls in the hot dishwasher (always rinsed after).
Is there anything I should be watching out for in how I clean them?
Does putting plastic in the dishwasher have the same dangers as heating plastic in other ways?

What bowls do you use, and what's your cleaning routine?
I would really appreciate your input.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Stainless steel, no dishwasher as I don't have one, so just clean in hot sudsy water. When I do my deep cage clean once or twice a year, I throw them into some F10 disinfectant at the same time. Otherwise I don't do anything special.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
SS is the best. I use a combination of SS and Acrylic dishes though. Soap and hot water, sometimes dishwater. Usually don't do anything special.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I use stainless steel, and every night they get washed in the dishwasher. I have Lixit plastic water bottles (I called the company to ask them what kind of plastic they used to make sure they are safe), and I wash them in hot soapy water every night, along with their plastic playset bowls. It seems like whenever I put plastic in the dishwasher it gets ruined very fast. I disinfect all the plastic once a week.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I use a bleach water solution and let them soak for 10-15 minutes. I have also used F10 disinfectant, which is what I use on their cages when they need a good disinfecting.

Really, the heat cracks your stainless bowls? I haven't had that happen luckily.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I use stainless and ceramic ..I clean with vinegar and dawn then f-10 them :)

Birblover

Meeting neighbors
@Tiel Feathers @Mizzely @Tyrion I'm now curious about F10, is it a good all round safe disinfectant for birds? Although I'm not sure if I can easily get it here :huh:

I use Milton for their plastic bowls (recently advised against putting them in the dishwasher by the company) and toys.
I only use hot water and dish soap for their metal bowls and toys, but sometimes I use a lemon and bicarb solution that I also use for their cages. Any suggestions?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
F10 is manufactured in South Africa, so you shouldn't have any problems getting it. I know that some of our other SA member don't have a problem finding it. F10 is totally non-toxic and non-caustic at the recommended dilutions. It is by far the best disinfectant for birds and reptiles on the market. Here is the inet site of the company that developed and manufactures it; Home and here is a source for F10 products in SA; F10 Health and Hygiene - Things for Pets

I'm jealous. We in the US don't have access to the full lone of products. You want to get the F10SC for general use.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
PS - My vet scowled at me until I got all SS bowls.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
All bowls designed for birds are safe. Plastic or otherwise. I sense a bit of OCD in your post?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
All bowls designed for birds are safe. Plastic or otherwise. I sense a bit of OCD in your post?
Just remember, there are a lot of us worry warts in this world. Thanks for being there for us (oddly, you can calm SOME of my bird fears)

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I like stainless steel and heavy ceramic if I do not want the bowl being tipped over.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't use it all the time. We need germs to keep us healthy, so overuse to me is the wrong thing to do. It's completely safe for the birds (i also use it for my gecko) to the point where it's actually used for a breathing treatment for some illnesses!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't use it all the time. We need germs to keep us healthy, so overuse to me is the wrong thing to do. It's completely safe for the birds (i also use it for my gecko) to the point where it's actually used for a breathing treatment for some illnesses!

The one time you would use F10 all of the time and extensively is if your bird has a serious infection such as MRSA or one of the fungal infections that lay around and wait for an opportunity.

F10 was instrumental for my getting rid of MRSA.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The one time you would use F10 all of the time and extensively is if your bird has a serious infection such as MRSA or one of the fungal infections that lay around and wait for an opportunity.

F10 was instrumental for my getting rid of MRSA.

Yes, sorry I didn't mean there is never a time to use it all the time. Obviously a situation like that is completely different! For standard, everyday cleaning though I don't like to disinfect just to do it.

Colbon2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
I Personally use Stainless Steel (SS) and Ceramic. The ceramic with the stainless steel insert is for fresh fruits, veggies and birdie mash. The top three SS are all water dishes. The bottom left of every group set of three is for pellets and seeds and the bottom right one is for fresh foods... :D
022.JPG

Birblover

Meeting neighbors
@Hankmacaw That's great to know! It's usually the other way round for me when trying to find these things. I'm glad we have something! :roflmao: Thanks for the information!

@JLcribber it's honestly paranoia. My Button has had reoccurring bacterial related health problems for over a year, and it's made me very paranoid about, well, everything.
I'm still trying not to stick him in a bubble. I need the reminders.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I'm pretty happy now sticking to SS bowls. @Colbon2 really wish I could find ceramic bowls like that here!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Any idea how Button may be getting sick?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Hankmacaw That's great to know! It's usually the other way round for me when trying to find these things. I'm glad we have something! :roflmao: Thanks for the information!

Why don't you put him on DMG for at least a few months? DMG: A Nutrient for the New Millennium Dr. Wissman is one of the most highly respected veterinarians in the world.

DMG can be purchased on Amazon.