• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe wood varnish?

EmmaLeigh

Moving in
Real Name
Emma Broadbent
Hello all, im new here and have already accumulated a lot of information(thank you).
So my sweety and i just adopted a sweet plucked scarlett macaw with the intention to give her the best life possible
We're (meaning mostly my fiance) building a large cage built into the wall. Its made from wood and shes getting all sorts of branches and really just an overall upgrade. However we cant seem to find any information on how to coat the floor and back walls to help with cleaning poop off. As for chewing, she'll really only be in there during the night and she gets out first thing in the day and i spend the daylight hours working with her and teaching her things to occupy her mind in a healthy way. But i am aware chewing isnt completely out of the picture. I just cant seem to find much helpful information on this other than definitely dont use oil based lacquer. Does anyone know of (if any) safe things we can use?
Also, i apologize if this is in the wrong section.
Thanks in advance

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Don’t use lacquer on what? What’s on the back wall and floor now?

For the floor I would just lay a piece of vinyl flooring in there. Nothing really sticks to it. If it gets really dirty just roll it up. Take it outside and hose it off.

A smooth painted wall is not that dangerous. It’s only if they take an interest in it and can find a weak spot to start working on it. If you really want to make it parrot proof cover it with Plexiglas. I just use plywood. Gives a place to fasten anything and everything.

The only thing you can use on wood that a bird will chew is a light rub of food grade mineral oil (cutting board oil) to seal the surface.