• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

safe way to clean bird cage?

Mango&Five

Meeting neighbors
i’m a person who is very paranoid about everything i do with my birds, or to their cages or anything like that cause i never want to give them anything that could be potentially harmful.
I have a pretty big cage, i was just going to take it out the back and spray it down with a hose, but i’m thinking that maybe there are better ways ?

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I hose mine down with a hose. I will sometimes us a little dish soap on the truly dirty parts (unscented, sensitive skins types like they use on wildlife) but I usually rinse extremely well when I use the soap. I only do that about once or twice a year. Other than that I frequently do a wipe down with a little vinegar/ water spritz and then wipe down with a damp rag. I've never had a problem with this routine and I have had Walter for a very very long time.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
i occasionally use a steam cleaner when they are in a different cage.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I wipe it down with f10 on a paper towel. If something is particularly gross (ie cage grates) I will lay a f10-soaked paper towel on the area to soften things up, then wipe off like normal.