• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe waffle makers?

SunfireKat

Moving in
Real Name
Kat
I am looking to buy some pearl sugar and try my hand at liege waffles, but I need a belgian waffle maker to work on this next culinary project...they all appear to have nonstick surfaces as I shop around for one. Is there anyone who can recommend a bird safe belgian waffle maker that is also an excellent working product? Cost never matters to me when it comes to my kitchen or my birds; I'll take any recommendations.

As a side note: I found a Cuisinart model which was highly rated in terms of performance, but I emailed Cuisinart and they gave me no response at all, and when I called their customer service line the woman on the phone had no idea what I was talking about...she only caught the buzzword "teflon" and swore it was not made with teflon. I don't trust any of that conversation to be reliable. Also, what kind of company just ignores customer emails? Don't know that I'd even want to do business with them anymore...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you ask the company if it’s ptfe and pfoa free and their answer is yes then you should be fine.
Other than pushing for a written answer from a company for a new one I do recall a conversation about this a while back where an old cast iron one was mentioned- not sure how common they are but maybe you can locate a cast iron one from a second hand shop or eBay etc

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I don’t know about the waffle iron, but I feel your pain with the company communications. I spent several hours, consecutive hours, about electric stove burners without anything conclusive. I did happen across an employee that knew what I was talking about, though.

On a side note... You could totally call yourself an expert if you get the recipe down ON an old cast iron one!!

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
The Dash brand does not use Teflon/PTFE/PFAS in their coatings.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Belgian is going to be harder to find. So many of te modern ones have non stick as waffles can be a pain when they stick.

I have not used one in a long time as its a pain to get it down from the cabinet & make the waffles then clean it up & return it especially when you have one that sticks bad 7 you gave to scrap off all the dried waffle. It is a pain.

I have only old ones. The 40's & 50's made great appliances & you can find them on ebay. Most are just regular waffles but a few may have deeper crannies.

Vintage Waffle Irons Fully Restored you can get an idea of the models & the size of the waffles
I have the sunbean W2 &

the
Manning-Bowman & Co Waffle Iron which has larger deep dimples & probably closest to belgian in a vintage & if you get from this co they are electrically sound.
The Manning-Bowman Company was a pioneer in producing metal ware, manufactured by stamping and forming steel, plating and polishing then assembly by human hands in huge factory buildings in Meridan, Connecticut. When electricity came along, they produced high-quality small appliances including waffle irons.

This non-automatic electric waffle iron has a temperature gauge in the lid surrounded with a wonderful ripple of of concentric circles. The cool lid and side handles are enameled wood. It produces a seven inch waffle with large, deep dimples. It measures twelve inches across handle to handle.

This one has been completely disassembled, cleaned and reconditioned with modern high temperature internal wiring installed. It is in very good condition and ready to make waffles for many more years. It comes with a detachable cord set.Manning-Bowman & Co Waffle Iron
Manning-Bowman & Co.
Meriden, Conn. U.S.A.
120 Volts 660 Watts
Made in the U.S.A.

$145

SunfireKat

Moving in
Real Name
Kat
I appreciate all of the responses, thank you all. I know a lot of people enjoy cooking with vintage appliances and cast iron etc...but I just plain don't. The "seasoning" you get from cast iron is really just old food you've previously cooked on the surface...and as somewhat of a perfectionist with an almost compulsive level of cleanliness, that grosses me out pretty significantly. Not saying it's wrong, but it's not my culinary style.

I was looking more along the line of a PFAS free surface in a new waffle iron...I wish the ceramic coated one that taxidermynerd linked was still available; I might have to go to Osters website and see if they have a new version of the same model, which I will purchase given it still has a ceramic coating.

SunfireKat

Moving in
Real Name
Kat
Thanks for the link Sparkles, but that is a standard waffle maker...Belgian waffles have deeper pockets. Vertical would not work for a liege waffle either, which is not batter based but thick yeast dough based, much like bread. Try one sometime, they're delicious!

I do think that I may have found something after doing more shopping though...

Presto 03510 Ceramic FlipSide Belgian Waffle Maker,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TYBWIG/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_PN4YJSXPCEZ966T0RDBC

Any opinions? It states ceramic nonstick coating but doesn't mention anywhere about no PFAS chemicals...I messaged the manufacturer Presto to ask, but haven't heard anything back yet. I couldn't possibly care less about the flip feature, but ceramic coating sounds like a winner to me.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Just a note about the "seasoning" thing. It's not meant as in flavor at all, but the finish of the oil onto the pan that makes it easy to clean and prevents oxidation. Sorry about the chef-splaining...I inherited it.