• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe Toys for Lorikeets:

RavenClaw

Moving in
Real Name
Sam Merlotte
Hello,

I'm a new Parront to a Rainbow Lorikeet (Trichoglossus moluccanus).

Because this is my first time caring for a nectarivore I would appreciate guidance from others on being the best Parront.

That in mind I would like to ask if this toy is suitable for Rainbow Lorikeet:

If purchased the toy would have mango as the enrichment reward and would only be allowed if supervised.

However, I am just unsure if the toy is safe for a lorikeet.

So please let me know your thoughts on the toy and if you have any other toys you would recommend.

Last edited:

Aves

Rollerblading along the road

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What country are you in? Probably best to get store/toy recommendations for the country you’re in to save you paying more than you have to for bird goodies.
Lots of people I’ve seen with rainbow lorikeets also give them bird safe/native flowers- from my understanding they love them as much as fruits.
Is it only foraging toys you’re after or all kinds of suitable toys?

RavenClaw

Moving in
Real Name
Sam Merlotte
What country are you in? Probably best to get store/toy recommendations for the country you’re in to save you paying more than you have to for bird goodies.
Lots of people I’ve seen with rainbow lorikeets also give them bird safe/native flowers- from my understanding they love them as much as fruits.
Is it only foraging toys you’re after or all kinds of suitable toys?
I live in Australia.

Because of this I have access to number of native plants and have fed her flowers from Deua Grevillea (Grevillea rhyolitica).

Regarding toys, I'm seeking general advice on what toys would be considered lorikeet safe.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I don’t believe lorikeets are any different to other parrots regarding toys so anything that is bird safe and aimed at birds similar sizes should be fine to use.

You’ll find some birds prefer shredding toys, some like shiny toys, some like plastics while others like things they can chip and destroy like wooden blocks.

Are you familiar with many Aus stores (other than big chain pet stores) that sell bird toys and food?
There is a list on here somewhere I’ll try to remember to come back and link it for you later tonight.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Are you familiar with many Aus stores (other than big chain pet stores) that sell bird toys and food?
There is a list on here somewhere I’ll try to remember to come back and link it for you later tonight

;) This is a good list to keep handy :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Thank you :D

RavenClaw

Moving in
Real Name
Sam Merlotte
I don’t believe lorikeets are any different to other parrots regarding toys so anything that is bird safe and aimed at birds similar sizes should be fine to use.

You’ll find some birds prefer shredding toys, some like shiny toys, some like plastics while others like things they can chip and destroy like wooden blocks.

There is a list on here somewhere I’ll try to remember to come back and link it for you later tonight.
Because most loriini have a papillae (brush tongue) I am concerned that a hard surface toy might cause tongue abrasion. However, if this is not an issue than fantastic.

RavenClaw

Moving in
Real Name
Sam Merlotte

Truly appreciated, thank you.