• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe sleeping “huts?”

Jay

Moving in
Poe Dameron is our seven month old green cheek conure. When we hold him, he often burrows into the crooks of our arms, our armpits, or up against our necks where he’ll immediately fall asleep for pretty much however long we’ll let him. Because of this, we ended up buying him a Snuggle Hut, which he absolutely loves. He sleeps in it every night and can often be found during the day rubbing his face all over the soft material. Then, much to my horror, I came across all the posts warning against this and similar brands due to the threaded seams unfurling and strangling the birds. I haven’t noticed Poe chewing on his hut first hand, and after inspecting it there didn’t seem to be any loose threads. But I’m still spooked. Could anyone direct me to some safer brands? I don’t really trust myself to try and make one by hand, but since he’s so drawn to the cozy, soft materials, I’d like to replace it with something similar.

Jay

Moving in
I sew, so I wonder why we could not make some ourselves. Just need to know what fabric is safe.
From what I’ve read, the real issue is the sewing itself. Because if there are seams of any kind, the birds will pick and chew until they loosen the threads. Secondary to that, I’ve read a few people mention the fibers/material being dangerous if ingested, but not nearly as much as the seams.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
From what I’ve read, the real issue is the sewing itself. Because if there are seams of any kind, the birds will pick and chew until they loosen the threads. Secondary to that, I’ve read a few people mention the fibers/material being dangerous if ingested, but not nearly as much as the seams.
But one could be sewn so that they could not pick at the seams. Of course I have conures, and they never chew. :loltears:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You can make some out of sea grass mats. :)
Yes, it's been brought up a few times. Here's just one I remember:

Jay

Moving in
You can make some out of sea grass mats. :)
I’ve read that sea grass is actually similar in danger, because their toes and feet can get tangled up and they can accidentally hang themselves in the exact same way as the cloth and thread ones. :confused:

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have one from this lady that my two linnies use. The seams are all on the outside, but they are fleece. My linnies don't chew on it, though, so I haven't been too worried.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Years ago when my Sydney was a young ´un and I wasn´t a member here, I struggled finding a safe ¨bed¨ for him. So I ended up keeping his wooden bird box, a small one, just big enough for him - no bedding or he would push it out. He had it years (I replaced it every now and then for another identical or similar). Luckily it never made him hormonal nor was he protective of his box so he was able to keep it as he lived alone.

Jay

Moving in
I was thinking wood might be the only option, but the fussy side of me really hates taking away the softness that he loves so much.
Just out of curiosity, those two different tube style beds that were posted here, what makes them safer? Just the way that the seams are sewn? Are they harder to pull apart?

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
You could make something soft like this, I made this one. Or they come in round swings.

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Cotton fleece is the better fabric to use. The cheap fleece sold at Walmart is not usually cotton.

Jay

Moving in
So that’s more to do with the fabric than the seam issue. Just wondering if they can’t also unfurl them and end up hanging themselves, since that was the main issue with the name brand huts.

MSBS

Moving in
Real Name
Kathie
There are huts made of fabric without seams and with hard plastic floors and ceilings :) Very safe.