• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe Sleep Tents for Conures?

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Hello, I am working hard to Charlie's cage as comfortable for him as possible during his transition period in my home. I have seen a few people say that conures naturally enjoy sleeping in small nest-like spaces in trees all year round. I know birds should not have a "snuggle hut" type toy in their cage because of the dangers of the fabric, but I have seen @Pixiebeak and a few other members mention there are sleep tents that are not dangerous for them.

I think Charlie would benefit from having something like this because I notice that he always sleeps in the top of his cage in the same place, hanging off the side of the cage. I think that is where he feels most secure, but he would probably enjoy a cage addition that would increase that security feeling.

What are some examples of safe sleep tents for them? Where can I find one? I really don't want to get him something that might be harmful so I just wanted to know everyone's advice and experiences.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Thanks! I've also seen ones similar to this made out of pvc pipe. There are a lot of bamboo groves near me in the woods, I wonder if I could make something like this DIY?
Just make sure you know what type of bamboo it is, some isn't safe for our birdies ;)

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Just make sure you know what type of bamboo it is, some isn't safe for our birdies ;)
That is the one thing that makes me a bit nervous to try. Yesterday I walked out and found one of the groves just to observe and see if I could figure out if it is bird safe. I did some reading and it looks like as long it is "true" bamboo, and not a plant that mimics the look of bamboo such as "lucky bamboo" or "heavenly bamboo," it should be just fine. The bamboo I've got is hollow in the middle and grows up to 25-ish feet into the air, so I am pretty sure that is real bamboo, but I want to be extra sure before offering it to my birds. I even found some that are thick enough to make a little house for a bird out of.
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! I think I am going to order a safe one online just to be sure, but I will keep looking into DIY options that I can make in the future once I am certain I have the right kind of bamboo.

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
After making this post I decided to create a sort of test tent for him to see if he would even use it before spending money on a nice pvc fleece lined one. I made it out of a piece of cardboard and attached it in his cage to see if he would like it. It went untouched for almost 2 whole weeks, and then tonight I came home and he was inside!! I guess he just had to get used to seeing it in the cage first. He seems very pleased with it, as I type this he's making sleepy beak grinding noises in there. I'm going to go ahead and invest in one of the nice ones you guys suggested. :heart:
Thanks everyone!! I am getting closer and closer to making his new life feel like a proper home for him.

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Please dont get a fleece lined one they arent safe.
Oh really? I had seen people here say that it was okay as long as it was non-pilling fleece. Not the fluffy kind like they sell at pet stores.

Cosmo305

Strolling the yard
Cosmo has the above mentioned Tiki Nook and LOVES to hang out in it during the day. He used to sleep on a grass mat swing, but now he loves this corner perch. I think he feels secure tucked in the corner on a flat surface.