• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe Indoor Aviary Tree

Aurornis

Meeting neighbors
Hi, I'm currently in the process of building an Indoor Balcony Aviary (lots of sunlight access, and it would be heated).

I want to put some trees for a Lovebird enclosure, and I want to know if there are any other trees you will recommend other than Chinese Bamboo that I can put in there that grows leaves fast enough as the birds will surely pick on them. There will be only 4-5 birds max, and they are not there 24/7, like maybe just half the day.

Can I put a Maple Tree, Manzanita tree (it is even available in Canada?).

Also, in case the trees have been sprayed or fertilized with chemicals, how long before that chemical is removed from the plant or anyway to faciliate it?

Thank you for the input!

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
I've never seen a manzanita available in Canada, even potted. You can definitely get the branches though, many reptile stores have them and you can suspend large branches or join smaller ones together as swings or perches.

Maple would be fine, so would birch, lilac and many other species of native trees, but they might be large and difficult to keep in pots on a balcony (?). Some of the tropical plants might be easier, a large palm or fig. If you have 2-3 of them, you can alternate them in and out of the aviary as they start to get nibbled on. Consider some coir/coconut matting or stones over the soil to keep the birds out of it, soil fungi can cause major respiratory problems.

If you want to give them something to nibble on, the organic potted herbs they sell at most grocery stores have been a hit with my flock. It's incredible how quickly 2 budgies can strip down a good sized rosemary or fern!

Aurornis

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the response Momof3litt...

It's strange that I see every other tree in Canada sold except Manzanita...wonder if it's illegal....it's local in Canada? Hmmm....

I am saving up for this Black Chinese Bamboo, and yes, definitely, I intend to put a dog peed pads lined with carbon on it, to line my balcony and I will use large stones which I will just wash periodically for both plants and on top of the pee pads....the hard part is finding untreated maple tree...the indoor balcony is going to be 10 feet high, 14 feet in length and 6 feed wide, and it will only have a maximum of 5-6 lovebirds if so.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve been wondering the same for my back porch. I think a potted Meyers Lemon Tree would be safe? I’m not sure I’m remembering the name correctly, though, lol!