• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe Hot Plates/Portable Cook Tops

HermesIII

Checking out the neighborhood
I am searching for a non-toxic hot plate or portable cook top for wax melting. I currently use a double boiler setup but would like to switch to large aluminum or stainless steel pitchers so that I can work with larger quantities of wax (soy, beeswax, and carnauba). In my search I was finding that a lot of hot plates and portable cooktops are coated with nonstick chemicals to make them easier to clean, and that others didn't say whether or not they were. I absolutely can't take any chances with buying something that I'm not certain won't be toxic when hot because I have lost birds to a nonstick cookie sheet that I wasn't aware was nonstick as we had gotten rid of all of our toxic cookware years before ever even considering having birds. I'd also ideally like to find something relatively affordable as I'm attempting to scale up a product I make and spending more of course means having to charge more. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Induction hot plates are pretty common now. They have fine control of temperature. Cleaning is not a problem as they are magnetic and don't really heat up, but it is the pot that does get hot.
You will not be able to use an aluminum pot, a magnet needs to be able to stick to the bottom.