• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe Heat Lamps (Need a Replacement one Help)

redrose27

Strolling the yard
I got a heat lamp from the vet last decemeber and it has been all good so far. Within the first 2 months of owning it the big silver dish part of the lamp fell off the black part and could not be twisted back onto it. Normally it would screw in fine like a light bulb but now I have to use electrical tape to attach it to the black base so it dosent fall off. Another issue was the light bulbs themselves. The vet is the one that sells them the first one had a peeling issue where the red paint would peel off the longer it was used. By the third light bulb this was no longer an issue as it had no peeling problem. But now it has a smell problem. The old light bulb didnt peel but it did emit a smell of what I can only describe of rubber being turned to gas. So I replaced the light bulb but the smell only got worse and this time it smelled like a hint of burning so I removed it from the room entierly. Now I think its the lamp itself. On the bright side due to the holes in the dish of the lamp near the base of the light bulb the smell only comes out of those holes so only I ever breathed it in or smelled it not kony (bird). So now Im looking to get a replacement heat lamp similar to it and replacement light bulbs for it. The reason I use the red ones is because the vet told me that light wont bother her when her eyes are closed. But it seems to me that the vet just sold me used products (the lamp and light bulbs) seeing as both fall apart so quickly and never seem in peak condition. So now I need a new heat lamp similar to the old one. One I can leave on all night even if I fall asleep (I turn it off at day time). The reason being is that it gets cold at night in the house and kony (bird) dosent do well in the dark she likes to sleep with it on even if the night is not cold. Its like her night light. For now I am stuck leaving my desk lamp on all night to make sure she feels safe as she tends to freak out if it gets dark in the room. So please link any safe heat lamps you guys use and the light bulbs. I have no real knowlege of heat lamps so thats why im asking. Also kony is a parakeet/budgie. (I heard that the amount or power of heat lamp one uses is related to the type of bird they have as some lamps or light bulbs are too strong for some species while others not strong enough.)

Attachments

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
26FACCD2-16E0-4AF8-B3B6-628F732BB4FB.jpeg 3C62561A-7267-4FA4-96D4-5DCB5883DDD1.jpeg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Avitemp by avitech isn’t available anymore store went out of business.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Zoomed makes the fixtures I use. They’re reptile based, good quality. I use a ceramic heat emitter bulb (like Saroj above does) or a red halogen depending on condition of the bird and what/why the heat is needed.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a Sweeter Heater for my naked conure. I ran it in the garage for 2 days before bringing it inside for him, but it has worked well.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Zoomed makes the fixtures I use. They’re reptile based, good quality. I use a ceramic heat emitter bulb (like Saroj above does) or a red halogen depending on condition of the bird and what/why the heat is needed.
Sorry for the super late replies (been dealing with college trouble). Thanks for all the suggestions. As for the reason for the heat I just need it to keep kony (bird) warm at night and as a nigh light for her. (she dosent like the dark). With the old heat lamp it would really only make one spot in the cage warm so she would walk in and out of it and decide for herself if she wanted to be warmed up or not.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
I have a Sweeter Heater for my naked conure. I ran it in the garage for 2 days before bringing it inside for him, but it has worked well.
By ran it in the garage im guessing you mean you left the lamp on for 2 days to test it. I might do this with whatever new lamp I get since I want to make sure it wont emit any bad smells or gas like the previous one did sometimes (specifically when the light bulb needed to be changed). This could also work to test and see if its safe to leave on all night without catching anything on fire or cooking anyone. Im definietly going to try it.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Great suggestion! It looks identical to the old one except a lot more polished and dosent look like I have to constantly wash my hands due to a lead warning. (Previous lamp had a label that warned to wash my hands after contact due to lead so I washed them every time I touched it even by a tiny bit). Its a lot cheaper as well Im for sure gonna give it a try.

Edit: just realized that its a link to an entire web page (what im refering to is the first lamp that shows on the page. The lamps have a much better look to them).

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
While reaserching I found this really informative pdf article about UVA and UVB light on birds. Found it very useful. Now im currious to see if there is a lamp that can use both light bulbs meant for heat and light bulbs meant to give off UVA and/or UVB light.
I’m thinking ceramic heat emitters get way hotter than light emitters.,So if it’s rated for a heat emitter it’s okay to use with a light bulb. I’ll tag @Shezbug

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m thinking ceramic heat emitters get way hotter than light emitters.,So if it’s rated for a heat emitter it’s okay to use with a light bulb. I’ll tag @Shezbug
I don’t use any special lighting nor heating for my birds so I’m of no help with anything regarding them really. @Ripshod might be of more help.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’ll link mine below. But if it’s for nighttime, what about a heated perch?

Hmm... I can’t link it! On Amazon, it’s a 60 watt bulb by Boee something.

I prefer the lower wattage. We aren’t trying to roast them, after all

redrose27

Strolling the yard

A heated perch wont really work for me since kony(bird) has arthridus in one foot and gout affecting the other so I have to wrap my perches in fleece to make it soft for her and her feet are already prone to heating up as it is.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Correct.

I would stay clear of the heat lamps that give off visible red light, they're known for causing cataracts (parrots stare at them and literally cook their own eyes).

I wouldn't waste my time thinking about uv lamps - total waste of good money.

As long as the reflector is metal (aluminium usually) and the lamp holder is ceramic you can use just about any bulb that will fit. The ones @saroj12 linked to would be great.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Correct.

I would stay clear of the heat lamps that give off visible red light, they're known for causing cataracts (parrots stare at them and literally cook their own eyes).

I wouldn't waste my time thinking about uv lamps - total waste of good money.

As long as the reflector is metal (aluminium usually) and the lamp holder is ceramic you can use just about any bulb that will fit. The ones @saroj12 linked to would be great.
The light bulb the vet gave me gave of visible red light but he said she could not see the red light when her eyes are closed it would not bother her, Sadly I cant really use a light that does not give off a "visible" red light since she is afraid of the dark I cant sleep at night with her without leaving some sort of light source on. Shes fine in the dark normally but prefers there to be a light on. And for me personally I prefer there to be a light on as well so I can see what shes doing at any time of the night since she gets quite active at night. With the old light bulbs we used to use given by the vet she would just stand on the oposite end of the cage away from it but the light would cover the entire cage. Is there a specific bulb you would recomend or do you have any tips for this sort of circumstance?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
A plug-in night light?

redrose27

Strolling the yard
A plug-in night light?
Thats actually a great idea, I already have a night light in the room but it does not seem to reach her cage so I might change its position and see how it works. I am wondering though would a night light cause the cateracts problem @Ripshod mentinoned or no because a night light does not emit heat?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

redrose27

Strolling the yard

Does it happen to be called BoeeSpat? Cause if so I found it. Seems good but people do say that the surface of the bulb reaches over 400 degrees in some areas so I think ill be avoiding it. Im not sure if you have had the same experience?