• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe Glue for Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TuckersMom

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Lora
Good Morning,

I did a search of the forums before posting to see if this had been addressed before and I could not find anything so here I am. I was reading online about safe glues to use on bird toys. I have read that the following glues are safe AFTER they are cured/dried. They did say not to use them around the birds when assembling.
1. Hot Glue
2. Gorilla Glue
3. Wood Glue

Any thoughts or opinions? Thank you

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am not sure about what glues would be safe or not. I have always just used hemp rope to attach toys together. I have a tiel though. Someone should be along shortly to help you :)

TuckersMom

Real Name
Lora
Thank you. That is what I will be getting, a tiel. I want to make him a bunch of toys but I want them to be safe. Of course, nothing beats good ol' supervision!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
The ONLY glue I would use on a bird toy would be non-toxic white glue like Elmer's. I actually contacted the Gorilla glue company and they said NO, this would not be safe to chew. I wouldn't use hot glue either.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Attachments

TuckersMom

Real Name
Lora
Thank you Coco and Theresa! I will look at other options. Theresa, I LOVE that toy! I will have to make a few of those. Thanks!

Well, I will have to work off of the picture, I can't watch video. I am on dial up.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are very welcome Lora :) You should go to the DIY section, lots of great ideas there, and Congrats on the new baby :)

TuckersMom

Real Name
Lora
Thank you Theresa, I will head there now! Oh, and I haven't got my baby yet, but will be starting the hunt very soon! I'm getting everything ready for him now. LOL

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Oh yes spiral straws are one of Squeeky's favorite. Speaking of which I need to make him a new one :)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I know the gorilla glue is safe also plain white elmers glue is considered safe - both after drying - I would not use any 'wet' glue around the birds

OldBirdLady1983

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Pickle
I have made bird toys for years and have always used a glue gun and I have also used Elmers glue.

TuckersMom

Real Name
Lora
Thank you GG and Pickle,
That is what I read. That in their 'wet' form they are not good for birds but once they dry or 'cure' that they are fine. And that there is no evidence that chewing glue from the glue gun (after it's hardened) causes any harm. Thanks very much for your input!

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
For porous things like paper or string you can make cornflour glue as we used to use as kids, all you need is cornflour and boling water. It takes a while to dry, but is totally safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.