• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe food

Pedro

Checking out the neighborhood
My Amazon loves bread and non lactose milk from our breakfast. Is that ok?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What kind of bread? Some people toast a hearty grain bread and spread almond or peanut butter on top. Bird gets small portion and you the rest. I would give a healthier drink to a parrot like a home made fruit or veggie smoothie. Also carrot juice has good vitamins and taste sweet.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It is not food that is needed in their diets and there are very few nutrients in these foods for our birds.
Having said that, I do allow my bird to have a tiny bit of lactose free milk when I share my porridge with him once every few weeks but I do not eat bread very often. A very small amount of these things once every now and then is not a problem but I don't think it is something you should offer daily or even regularly. Animal fats are quite harmful to our birds (they also do not digest them well) and so is salt and sugar which is likely to be in the bread.

Lady

Meeting neighbors
I make bread and let our birds have some from time to time, but I keep the dairy for the people.

Last edited:

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
When my Sam wants something we are eating, I usually give him a bird treat such as a senior bird Nutraberry or a small piece of walnut. He does get some whole wheat bread once in a while and perhaps a piece of pasta. Mostly he has peas, carrots or another veggie when we have our dinner.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Rarely do I give a tiny bite size piece of bread.