• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe Cookware

1959CAT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cheryl
I bought some new pots and pans for cooking.They are made by Gotham Steel.They are made of aluminum,titanium,copper and ceramic.They are nonstick.They are PTFE,PFOA and PFOS free.Are they safe to cook with around my birds? I have not cooked with them yet .If they are not safe what can I safely cook with? I had stainless steel with copper bottoms until the copper started coming apart from the stainless steel and sliced my finger pretty bad. Thank you for all of your help.

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I saw a Facebook post about a person using these pans and her birds all died :( I dont know the person or anything esle other than she had that brand of pans. I bought a red copper pan a while back, and I ended up returning it after I saw the post. I use stainless steel and casti iron. I really wish I could make some nice looking eggs :lol:

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Found the post.
74E1BEF8-BB6F-46E5-BECB-ACD310CC5337.png

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The person who posted on Facebook doesn't say if the cookware she used was PFOE, PTFE free. Those are the two ingredients that are dangerous to birds. It's always difficult to get the details in cases like the poster's.

@1959CAT I would be perfectly comfortable using the pans you purchased around my birds.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I burnt bacon which cause a slight fire above the stove.....
.... then proceeds to blame the pans. I ask you, what killed her birds?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I have 2 gotham steel pans. We have used them to cook for a long while now, since 2016 (when I got Chirp and all the teflon pans went into the trash). They aren't as nonstick as they say they are, but they work to cook things in, so they're alright. We've had no issues with them, in fact we got them because they were PTFE and PTOA free.

We also have a GraniteRock pan, that one is pretty nice too. It wipes out fairly clean with just a paper towel, so you don't have as much nasty junk to scrub in the sink.

Personally, I would say the fire is more likely to have caused her bird's death. Smoke inhalation is harmful, if not deadly.