• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe coating for rust prevention?

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hi!

My new cage is finally here! As it was shipped by sea, I was warned of minor dents in the cage. There are a few small chips off the paint when the sliding doors have bumped against and I'm wondering if there's anything I can coat it with to prevent rust? Its coated stainless steel but I know over time with washing rust could develop.

Previously I was recommended olive oil but is there a less tedious solution (of reapplying after every cage wash)? The seller recommended lacquer paint but it sounds dodgey.

Sharing a photo of it as I'm real excited about filling it with toys!
20210720_223136.jpg

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm not sure, but it looks great!
Side Bump.gif

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Real stainless steel does not rust. Your only real choice is a food grade mineral oil. Anything else is not really safe.

My concern is that the underlying metal is not stainless steel because why would they paint over that. Doesn't make sense. Stainless steel is very expensive to use for this.

If you have a magnet see if it sticks to the cage. Good quality stainless steel is not magnetic.

Last edited:

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
My bad it's just heavy duty steel, not stainless steel! I guess oil is the way to go, thank you!