• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

safe cage base diy

animalover

Jogging around the block
so a lot of you guys recommended that I put towels/blankets on the bottom of my birds cage, since he has severely clipped wings and got hurt the other day jumping down to the base, so I put a towel, well.. long story short I threw it away, it was so disgusting even if I cleaned all the poop off, plus it was stained with blood from his toe but thats not the point, anywaysss I figured I could sew him a soft base! out of some fabric and cotton fluff, the exact size of the base, but one thing I still cant figure out it how would I be able to keep it clean without having to wash it, here are my ideas!

cover it with contact paper and poke holes in it so when pushed down it releases air instead of being firm.
problems- poop would slide off it(eww)

second idea do the same thing with the contact paper but put some normal papers above it.
problems- what if he jumps down and okay its softer than nothing but the paper and contact paper made it harder, basically he could get hurt again

third idea put aspen bedding, I use this for my hamster and its cheap, hamsters have weak respiratory systems just like birds, but this bedding isn't dusty at all.
problem- he eats it????(its wood) he gets it all over the room when he flies, or because this is sort of a nesting material im afraid he gets hormonal idk.

fourth, coconut fibre, I also use this for my hamster.
problems- again hormonal problems!

I cannot use Any newspaper/paper shavings as he likes going through those and just reaching to the base, plus its not soft enough to me(meaning- if he jumps he can jump in a spot where there is too little paper and get hurt.

any ideas/suggestions will help! thanks!

message from milo!
;gcjlhotlbnbjg (on my laptop lol)
meaning: hellooOoOoOooOoo

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Get the fabric, line the cage, then put plenty of sheets of newspaper on top to stop the poop debris reaching the fabric. Change paper often.
A piece of cardboard on top could work too.
If he chews it a bit, it is ok, just replace often enough that he´s not chewing dirty paper. If he is eating it, take it away instantly and go the fabric route.

Or fill a pillowcase with a folded towel/blanket. When you want to clean the sheets, take the pillow case off, scrape it over the bin then hand wash with a brush before washing the sheets in the washing machine (or straight in the machine if you have a bird one).