• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe (But Effective!) Carpet Cleaning???

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
My carpets are getting worse and worse and I am slowly losing it. I am in an apartment so I cannot change over to laminate floors. By the same token I do not want the complex to change the carpet because I can't remove my conure for them to do so and will not allow it to be done with her there. I have a carpet steam cleaner specifically made for people with pets, but what can I use in it to thoroughly clean the carpets and remove the stains from years of foot traffic? Or is there a professional company someone uses that is known to be safe? I thought about Z****z but just read a horror story about it so now I am nervous to do anything! Please help! My carpets need it and I am desperate! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can try diluted white vinegar in the carpet cleaner.
You can use white vinegar and baking soda combination not in the steam cleaner but directly on the tough stains and spots. Baking soda first, then add some vinegar (can dilute the vinegar and spray it on if you choose), then watch the bubbling volcano, wipe, and vacuum.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Are new carpets toxic? I have had new carpets put down with a parrot there. Never had any issues with doing that. Old carpets can and are full of carpet beetles and things we don't see. Most especially old ones.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
New carpets can give off fumes. When I had my carpeting replaced my birds stayed at my mom's for two weeks except for Casey and Keno.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Folex and poop off work pretty well for traffic area stains and bird poop. They both are supposed to be non toxic and Lurch and Dobby haven't had any issues when we used them.
You can use folex in a carpet shampoo machine 1 part to 4 to 6 parts warm water. I haven't tried it yet in the machine but it works well getting rid of stains and the dark high traffic areas. I think there has to be safe carpet shampoo and you can probably combine it with folex and your carpet would look almost new again.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Once you get it clean, "cover" it with some vinyl flooring pieces. That will protect everything and keep the carpet sparkling clean. Easily cleaned in place (putty scraper and a mop) or just roll them up and take them outside for a power wash. By using a number of large squares (and overlapping) you can cover the entire floor. Nothing is permanent and quick to remove/cleanup

Last edited:

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank you all so much! You saved my sanity :) I did not know it would be safe to use anything but the "branded" cleaners and knew I did not want to use them. I will be trying these out tomorrow for sure! And what is funny is that it isn't the conure causing all the mess for once! I have a plastic floor mat under her area so it stays clean, but the dog and husband bring mud in from time to time in the rest of the apartment, and of course high traffic areas just get worn out faster. I will try the baking soda and vinegar first as I keep stocks of them already for cleaning and will pick up some Nature's Miracle from Petsmart if it doesn't get the worst stains out as it is across the street. Thanks again everyone!!!

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Another vote for Folex, for spot cleaning. It's pretty amazing and you can get it at Home Depot. But it sounds like you need more than spot cleaning. Maybe try and find a steam cleaning company?

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Another vote for Folex, for spot cleaning. It's pretty amazing and you can get it at Home Depot. But it sounds like you need more than spot cleaning. Maybe try and find a steam cleaning company?
I have been wanting to do that but I am worried about what chemicals they use. The one I would have gone with I just read a horror story on this forum about so now I am unsure. If anyone has used a company safely I would love to know who!!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We had off white carpeting....I bought a carpet cleaner and first ran it with very hot water. I was amazed at what came up the first go around. HOT WATER ONLY! I have a small spray bottle of vinegar that I just sprayed directly on the spots. Wasn't perfect but saved my sanity.

fireball249

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
You can try diluted white vinegar in the carpet cleaner.
You can use white vinegar and baking soda combination not in the steam cleaner but directly on the tough stains and spots. Baking soda first, then add some vinegar (can dilute the vinegar and spray it on if you choose), then watch the bubbling volcano, wipe, and vacuum.
So I poured baking soda on the worst spots and then straight vinegar after. Immediately removed the spots! (YAY!!!!) 3 days later, It has actually helped lighten the carpet back to its original color! I think I will end up sprinkling the baking soda across the entire carpet and spraying vinegar on to help the rest lol! It seems to act like the "Oxy" stuff for the carpet cleaner machines... I also ran with the Nature's Miracle cleaner, did well but I have to spot treat with the baking soda and vinegar first for the stains.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for the update!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Needing to know this myself as my poor step-daughter is sick and threw up red Gatorade all over the living room carpet. We're also in an apartment, so I'm really hoping I can get the red out.

Why did it have to be the red Gatorade??:bash:

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I clean the carpet with our wet vac once a month. I have to otherwise my beige carpet looks brown. I have two tiny dogs with what seems like 40 feet each due to all the footprints from outside (they have a tiny doggy door that goes to the back yard) and the area they go in and out I put a little area rug down but it's still dirty.

I use the same thing Shawna uses Nature's Miracle and do the whole house except the bird's room. Then when the rest of the house is dry, I move the birds and do their room. Only because what's the point of vacuuming while they're running around making a mess? So they sleep temporarily in the other room until it is dry. Then I move them back into their own room again.

It's just once a month. I vacuumed three times a day. I even picked up one of those old manual sweep/vac that you just push back and forth and it picks up crumbs. Including that vacuum I'd say we have five vacuums in total, including our shop vac. All Have Hepa filters and the wet vac is super easy to use and is excellent. All by Dyson as my hubby is a Dyson fanatic.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I spot clean with Nature's Miracle, too, but I don't have the carpet cleaning solution though, I wasn't sure it was safe to use around the birds. I had read horror stories about Carpet Fresh and it made me leery of other carpet cleaners. I usually run our carpet cleaner with hot water only like @Clueless said and it really does make a huge difference! Plus it helps get the Nature's Miracle residue out of the carpet so it doesn't attract more dirt. If the carpet needs a deeper clean, I've been using white vinegar in the hot water but only on days when I can have the windows open. :wtf:

I'm off Tuesday while the hubby is at work; I'll try the baking soda/vinegar on the red stains then so the smell will be gone before he gets home. He gets so mad if I use the vinegar when he's home. :rolleyes:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Mine goes insane over smell of Bragg Apple cider vinegar when I clean produce with it.....

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Needing to know this myself as my poor step-daughter is sick and threw up red Gatorade all over the living room carpet. We're also in an apartment, so I'm really hoping I can get the red out.

Why did it have to be the red Gatorade??:bash:
Check to make sure hot water won't set the stain.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe what takes out red wine would work?