• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe bird friend for a small conure?

ConureDad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Casey
I have had my maroon bellied conure (same size as a gcc) for a few months now, and I've been considering eventually getting a second bird.

Part of the reason is because I think it would be good for my conure to have a flockmate around when I'm not home (would be caged separately, but in the same room). I know there's no guarantee any two birds will be friends, but I think the presence of another bird would probably still be beneficial, even if they're just flockmates who learn to tolerate one another. At least then they never have to be alone.

The other reason is because I just think it would be even more fun to have two, so that they can learn things from one another and all three of us can interact.

There are some species I'm interested in that seem like they would be fun companions, but my main concern is my conure's safety. I'm considering a slightly larger species, like a quaker parrot or dusky conure, but only if they'll be able to safely coexist without me constantly trying to keep them separated. Like I said, I would keep them in separate cages, but I don't want a size difference that is going to make having them out at the same time while supervised unsafe.

I have seen several videos and photos of gccs getting along peacefully with quakers and various Aratingas, but are these cases normal or exceptions? The beak size of a quaker looks pretty close (even though the body size of a quaker is definitely bigger) to an mbc or gcc, so it seems like it would probably be okay?

Anyway, I want to hear some thoughts from any of you guys who keep small/Pyrrhura conures along with other birds. Which birds do you feel it's safe for your conure(s) to interact with and why? What have your experiences been like introducing your conure to a new bird?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My green cheek and Quaker got along great. You are correct that their beak size is very similar even though body wise there can be a difference.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would suggest another conure mine both get along great together they have the occasional fight but can both look after themselves.

@Pixiebeak has a diverse flock

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I would deffinatly stick with another conure species. Ive seen gcc with sun conures, nanday conures, Crimson belly and other conures . With high success rate of becoming buddies.

When my gcc girl lost her long time gcc buddy and was really grieving. I got a DNA confirmation baby boy quaker. Im thinking it was that combination of factors that led to their closeness. When I lost him my gcc hasn't formed any connections with my 3 quakers. They tolerate each other and are all a flock. But maintaining 8 inch personal space when out together. It took time and work to get that..with my gcc being the instigator.

Plus quakers aren't for everyone. All of mine are re homes or behavioral or rescue. I just looked last night and their are no less thsn 20 looking for homes. Why? Because they turn to screaming non stop frequently. They are not a species that tolerates being caged for most of the day . I love mine dearly! But they are out all day long. I work always to reduce screaming. Spring screaming hormones....well after 5 years thsts still a work in progress..if they had to back to being caged a majority of the day they would be screaming and plucking. In the right situation they can be a wonderful company.

Gcc seem to be able to adjust better to working families. They are rarely going to turn to screaming and plucking.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I've never had a conure, but from what I have seen on this forum and other forums, pages, etc., conures seem to have a very high probability of getting along with other conures while many other species of parrots are far pickier about even their own species.

I've kept different species that don't get along, and it's so much work letting them out at separate times and keeping them safe. The difference in size and each species' personalities/sensibilities/communication styles can be a huge headache.

If I wanted to get a friend for a conure, I'd stick with conures all of the way, particularly the same exact species.

Good luck.

swimming

Checking out the neighborhood
We have a 18 year old green Cheek conure. He was very bonded to our masked lovebird. They were together when they were very young. We lost our lovebird A couple of years ago and could tell our guy was lonely. We got a couple of young, sibling, female, crimson bellied conures. They had seperate cages for a while but the greencheek moved in with them by choice and they get along great.
He is so much happier and easy going since they arrived. The important thing is to introduce them gradually. These two species are closely related and about the same Size
I have had my maroon bellied conure (same size as a gcc) for a few months now, and I've been considering eventually getting a second bird.

Part of the reason is because I think it would be good for my conure to have a flockmate around when I'm not home (would be caged separately, but in the same room). I know there's no guarantee any two birds will be friends, but I think the presence of another bird would probably still be beneficial, even if they're just flockmates who learn to tolerate one another. At least then they never have to be alone.

The other reason is because I just think it would be even more fun to have two, so that they can learn things from one another and all three of us can interact.

There are some species I'm interested in that seem like they would be fun companions, but my main concern is my conure's safety. I'm considering a slightly larger species, like a quaker parrot or dusky conure, but only if they'll be able to safely coexist without me constantly trying to keep them separated. Like I said, I would keep them in separate cages, but I don't want a size difference that is going to make having them out at the same time while supervised unsafe.

I have seen several videos and photos of gccs getting along peacefully with quakers and various Aratingas, but are these cases normal or exceptions? The beak size of a quaker looks pretty close (even though the body size of a quaker is definitely bigger) to an mbc or gcc, so it seems like it would probably be okay?

Anyway, I want to hear some thoughts from any of you guys who keep small/Pyrrhura conures along with other birds. Which birds do you feel it's safe for your conure(s) to interact with and why? What have your experiences been like introducing your conure to a new bird?
We have an 18 year old green Cheek conure who grew up with and was totally bonded to our masked lovebird.
When we lost our lovebird a few years ago we could tell our guy was really lonely. We got two young, sibling, female crimson Bellied conures. We kept them in seperate cages in the same room for several weeks. Out green cheek deserted his cage and moved into their bigger cage. They get along just great! He sits between them and preens both of them. They are mimicking each other's calls.
It has so much improved his disposition.
Maybe it's jealousy But he's more cuddly than ever before and has completely stopped biting. The two species Are closely related and about the same size. I think the most important thing is to introduce Them gradually.