• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe bakeware

Crazybirlady14

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Hannah
Hi! I made an account so I could ask this. I'm a big baker, I do it all the time. The holidays are coming up which is when I do the most. I've recently become very paranoid lol about my aunts bakeware(we live together). I got her new pans for her birthday, ceramic cooknhome, she'll get them soon, but the bakeware is way harder. What brands do you use? How have they held up?

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
If you have a bird,which I assume you do,don't use non-stick cook/bakeware.Any type of non-stick or cook/bakeware containing telfon,to be specific.I never look at the brands since most brands sell both non-stick and not non-stick ones.Check the label,ask the staff there.Do some digging.
Also to be safe than sorry just forgo any non-stick stuff.Telfon/non-stick releases toxic fumes that are lethal to birds when heated.

Reactions: tjc

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Also if you are not sure just throw or don't use.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Hannah, welcome to the Avenue! :fairy2:

@Khizz bakes a lot and has two birds, I´m sure she will have some great info :)

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I use glass, my cast iron for cornbread/quick breads, and stainless and aluminum commercial pans/sheet pans. I had to send the special ones like the bundt and the muffin pans, and my spring forms to my mother's house (got a couple good trades, though!) I kept my coppercook pans, but I don't know yet about those.

I'm new, so keep checking back for more experienced answers.

Welcome! This is a great group of people!

tjc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tammy
While we are on the subject, any thoughts on silicon bakeware. I thought it was safe and have used it, but then thought better and have quit. I always shut Boo’s door when the kitchen is open. I only use glass and stainless steel. And remember there is one type of Reynolds wrap that contains Teflon.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome!!! It's great to have fellow bakers around :D

My birds are firstly far away from the kitchen, with 2 doors and a big living room seperating them from the kitchen. When I bake I close all doors and open the windows, as despite not having non-stick/teflon I find it makes me feel better. I do not think it's a good idea to keep birds in the kitchen.

These days most cookware/bakeware companies are moving away from teflon and the like. However, they might just say they are "PFOA-free" which means the dangerous chemical is still in, just in smaller amounts. They should use the words "PTFE/PFOA free" which means it's safe.

If you are still worried, take in mind the chemicals are not released unless the pan goes to 500f. The problem is preheating or absent-mindedly leaving something on the stove. So if you know for sure it's not safe, get rid.

Somebody recently made a post featuring teflon/pfte-free cookware here: How to Buy Non-Toxic Teflon Free Cookware - Gene Food

We have different brands here and I get different brands so can't recommend any specifics, the article above mentions things available at Target.

Ceramic, stainless steel, cast iron, titanium are all good. Silicone is not good either, I recently found out (I don't like using silicone anyway).

If you are concerned about baked goods sticking, Wilton do a cake release spray, or greasing with butter and adding a dusting of flour (or cocoa powder for chocolate cake) works well!

Last edited:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also I'm wary about recommending a whole brand, as some, like Kitchenaid do both nonstick teflon-coated stuff as well as PFOA/PFTE-free stuff, so checking online before each purchase is a wise idea.