• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 (Sad update) Stiff Body, Still Breathing

MadScientist

Sprinting down the street
You stayed with him the entire time, and nevergave up on him. I bet in those few days you gave that little parrotlet more love than many parrotlets get in a lifetime :heart:

MadScientist

Sprinting down the street
It is unfortunate that parrots get many of the same illnesses that we humans do - but they are not as easy to diagnose in a bird. I often wonder how many of our very beloved birds who are found dead or deathly ill have been struck down by heart disease (my girl has congestive heart disease and atherosclerosis), liver disease, kidney disease, stroke, seizures, pancreatitis..... etc.. They can't tell us where they hurt or when they just feel bad, so we have to guess. Our vets, although they do their best, don't have the tools that human, dog and cat vets have. There is very little clinical research on parrots. Much of the time they too must just use their best guess to treat our babies.

Fly free and high little guy.
To add, I think it also sucks that even when we know what it is, due to expenses and the lack of research, we don't have adequate treatment for such disorders. I work in a laboratory for a stroke receiving center, and am depressingly too familiar with the protocol for treatment, but we could never do the same thing for a parrotlet due to the various logistics.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am so sorry for your loss.