• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

** Sad Update ** Prayers needed...Crimson Bellied Conure please....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Not a good report :( I am in tears. He is in liver failure as we speak. His liver enzymes should be below 35. The chart here goes up to 200 and Macke doesn't register. Words can't even describe how I feel right now.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not a good report :( I am in tears. He is in liver failure as we speak. His liver enzymes should be below 35. The chart here goes up to 200 and Macke doesn't register. Words can't even describe how I feel right now.
Oh gosh,I am so sorry. Is there anything that can be done?

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
The liver is on of the only organs that can regenerate itself. Please talk to the vet about aloe-detox, milk-thistle and dandelion for treatment. We are here for you and Macke.............:hug8::hug8::hug8:

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
Oh, I am SO sorry! I'm praying for a miracle for little Macke!

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
:hug8::hug8:Please see Gary's post to help.....

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Oh, no. :( Keeping hope alive for the little guy! :hug8::hug8:

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
The liver is on of the only organs that can regenerate itself. Please talk to the vet about aloe-detox, milk-thistle and dandelion for treatment. We are here for you and Macke.............:hug8::hug8::hug8:
I did ask about milk thistle and he prescribed 0.1 ml per oz of water that I use in his formula. He's not drinking or eating. Is that enough or should I be giving more? If so, can I give it straight without the formula?

Honestly, he has went down hill fast within the last hour. I don't know what else to do for him :( I'm going back tomorrow morning for another shot of chelation therapy. The doctor is treating it as him having metal toxins but also said it could be Pssittacosis.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know the answer about the MIlk Thistle Danielle, but I just wanted to let you know I am keeping this baby in my prayers. You are working very hard to get him better.:hug8:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
If Macke were mine I would go out and purchase a bottle of aloe-detox, it has milk thistle and dandelion in it. Use the detox 50/50 with water to make his formula. If the vet thought it was pssittacosis and would have expected antibiotic to be doxycycline. Keep Macke warm and nourished, he needs to eat and will with your love.

Please read

• Carolyn Swicegood wrote the following articles.
  • ALOE—Known as the medicine plant, aloe vera is excellent for the treatment of wounds, burns, bites, cuts, abrasions and rashes. It helps to prevent infection in injured skin and it is an exceptionally effective pain killer. Many cases of feather plucking in parrots have been treated successfully with a spray of water and aloe vera gel or powder. It also can be used internally as a powerful detoxifying agent. There are several documented cases of complete recoveries in parrots treated with an aloe concentrate and detoxifying herbs, even though the birds had been considered terminally ill!
    • •ALOE DETOX-- About a year ago, I wrote an account in an on-line newsletter of an adult female eclectus that I own who became seriously ill. After undergoing every imaginable test and treatment protocol by two veterinarians, no diagnosis could be made and the bird was sent home to be "kept comfortable." In desperation, I went browsing in a health food store with the hope of finding something that might save my beloved bird. Both vets had mentioned liver damage so I decided to try a liver-detoxifying agent called Aloe Detox by Naturade. I was shocked at the immediate response--her appetite returned, she began perching for the first time in weeks and she became responsive to her surroundings again.
      After a couple weeks of steady improvement and when she seemed normal again, I took her back to one of the treating vets for blood work. He was pleasantly surprised just to see her alive, and he drew blood for re-testing. He phoned me with the results of the CBC and said "If I had not drawn the blood myself, I would not believe that it came from the same bird. All of her liver values are completely normal!"
      In hindsight, I wish that I had kept a log of all her treatments, including the Aloe Detox, but the dosage that I used was, at best, unscientific, being simply all that I could get into her. I made her drinking water half Aloe Detox, soaked her bird bread in it, and put it on everything that she would eat. Being a non-toxic product, I felt that there was no danger of overdosing her. Due to the serious nature of her condition, there was nothing to lose.

I have used this with good success helping a very sick bird at a pet store years ago.

Gary

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
He did treat with doxy but I was very much on the fence about it. I was told that the doxy could affect his liver in a negative way. I asked what he was going to do if I left Macke there to be treated with them instead of bringing him home and he said he would do the same - doxy shot and chelation shot.

Can aloe detox be bought a walmart by chance? That's the only source I have right now at this moment and i feel like its something that needs to be done now. He's not doing well at all. I just went in to check on him and usually he's chirping and flapping around the cage but he's laying on the bottom (which he's been doing since I've had him) sleeping. When I touched him, he just slightly turned his head.... No chirping or moving.

I feel so helpless. I want so bad for this little guy to make it. I'm really trying to stay positive.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I wish I could be of more help. I will keep Macke in my thoughts, I hope he pulls through. Hugs for you both! :hug8::hug8:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Danielle, you should be able to get the detox at Walmart in the medicine section. Usually on the bottom shelf in a 1/2 gal-1 gal bottle.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
I know you feel helpless but on the other hand you are an outstanding birdie mom do everything you can.

Aloe-detox is usually sold in health food stores, Walmart may have a health food section in the larger stores. If you can't find detox tonight, buy some cranberry juice (the light version), use it to mix Mackes's formula and milk thistle combination.

Stay positive....

:hug8::hug8:

Gary

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Ok I'm off to walmart to check if they have it. I just fed him about an hour ago. I feel like this needs to get in him now. Can I just give it to him straight without the formula? If so how much? Gary- if I can't get the detox and I get cranberry juice, can I give it to him straight and if so, how much? Thank you all in advance!!!!

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Mix 50/50 with water, whether you use detox or the cranberry juice. You may have to mix it with more water depending on how it tastes to him. Taste it yourself before offering to Macke, some bird really like the taste and others do not. Go slow and make sure he is going to keep it down.

Gary

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Hugs to you, sweetie. My heart goes out to you. Macke is at peace now. You did all you could for him. Sending you huge hugs and hugs to the lady who owns him. :hug8:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Oh, hon. You did everything you could for him. At least the little guy had comfort and company in his last minutes. I am so very sorry for you and for Macke's mom. :sad5:

Rest in peace, Macke.:sadhug2:

Status
Not open for further replies.