• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(Sad Update) Help little Baby Sparrow Hungry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I saved another bird on the ramp today he/she had fallen from the airports jetway onto some cloths on our lunch bench . It was like 95 degrees outside and i think the beams the nest were in were cooking the baby and mom push Him /Her out. She /He landed sitting rite in the sun luckly one of my fellow ramp agents had seen what happened skooped him/her up and brought him.her inside.
He/she was very weak so I gave him/her some water from my finger and He/Her drank it. By the time I had got Her/Him home to wife she was comming around and being more lively and making a racket. Question now is how do we feed this little itty bitty thing we have puppy chow and a medicine beaker but its beek is so small how do we coax it open to give it some food. We can not bring her/him to rescue till tomorrow. Anything would be great we believe it is a sparrow of some sort my wife is sending some pics to post.It is quit lively now thing is no bigger than a Chicken Egg.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Usually if you touch the side of the beak, where its still soft and yellow, they will open up for you. He may just be freaked out, ifs hes hungry he will gape. Good luck with the little guy.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
This place might be able to help you - it's a bird sanctuary in Valley Park, MO. 636-225-4390 or www.worldbirdsanctuary.org - or maybe their blog spot world-bird-sanctuary,blogspot.com. They have everything from American birds that can no longer be released to exotics that we found loose and/or injured. I've been there and to say that they are sticklers for trying to return a bird to its natural environment would be an understatement.

Check out my thread "The Love of Being Proven Wrong". Good luck, babies are so hard to save - my other suggestion would be CBCM - Chicago Bird Collision Monitors. They're local to Chicago, IL, but will give as much help as they can regardless. If you can, call them, don't email them as they don't always check email.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
What would you people think a flechling that small would eat seed bugs,Puppy chow?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
In a pinch, the wet puppy chow will do, also cooked oatmeal, creme of wheat, something like that. I dont like the way his poop looks though, hope you can get him to eat.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
You can mash up the yolk of a hard boiled egg with water until it drips off your finger and offer that, then find a nature center or sanctuary to take this little one too.

Ginger

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
You can mash up the yolk of a hard boiled egg with water until it drips off your finger and offer that, then find a nature center or sanctuary to take this little one too.

Ginger
Oh my wife is going to take the little guy there this morning she had enough of it barking last night(which is a good sign)

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I am very sorry to say the little guy did not make it through the night . My wife was telling me he was having spazms and could not even stay sitting with out falling over. So say a little prayer for the guy please and have him in your thoughts.:(

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am so very sorry the littl e one did not make it....fly free and high little one, free and high.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I think mom knew he was sick and might have pushed him out of nest I am glad we could make him comfortable the last hours of his life instead of letting him cook on the ramp.He is with gods flock of birds now. Still makes me sad unfortunately we can not save them all. :(

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh, I'm so sorry he didn't make it, Jim. :( Thanks for trying to help him.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I am very sorry to say the little guy did not make it through the night . My wife was telling me he was having spazms and could not even stay sitting with out falling over. So say a little prayer for the guy please and have him in your thoughts.:(
So sorry Jim. :sad1: :bluhug:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry.

Matt

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Im sorry Jim, you did all you could and gave him a warm safe place to take his final flight.:hug8:

leanne124

Moving in
sad to hear about your lose and yes that was a sparrow and quite an older one so im suprised it didnt live it might of had a parasite that was slowly killing it or intestine problems so it is not your fault,rip birdie..For future help you want to mix wet dog/cat food, banana cut finely,tomatoes squeezed not the flesh,oats softened in water,seeds squished and egg yolk and cucumber and apple all mixed in a blender so it sloopy on a straw with half the end cut of so it looks like spoon and just dab lil bits on it beak NOT NOSTRILS and it will eaat it once its tried it! :) <-- if its poop should look like a tadpole white head and thin dark body that means youve got a VERY healthy bird just like mine and that recipe will make any bird full of strength:) GOODLUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.