• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

sad, sick lovie? :(

fars02

Moving in
Hi everyone!

I have a just over 3 month old baby lovie, who i’ve been told is a girl. This morning when I went to grab her from her cage I saw her sitting in her food bowl, not chirping happily like she normally does. Normally she begs to be let out, but this morning I had to lift her out of her food bowl, and I soon noticed it was because she was limping and had trouble putting weight on her left foot. Pretty much all day, she hasn’t been chirping super loud and she’s been just sleeping and staying still. I’ve been monitoring her eating and she’s not eating as much (even when i give her seeds, her favourite!), and instead of her normal poops every 10 minutes or so, she did just one large, mushy poop today, which I have attached below (hopefully not TMI, i’m just stressed !!). I just checked on her again and she’s sleeping and had trouble itching her back because of her foot injury, so I put her on a little pillow thing in her cage so she can lift her foot. Below I have attached some images. I also noticed she seems to be sweating where she’s injured (maybe? or maybe it’s water), as the feathers around her left foot were damp when I last checked on her.

I’ve been keeping her in a small cage with a flat ground, and pillow so she can rest and walk around if she needs to. I have a perch above her which she hasn’t used. I’m planning on taking her to the vet tomorrow if she’s not better, but if anyone could let me know their thoughts and opinions, that would be great :(

I’ve been an emotional wreck all day so hopefully I can get some good news?

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Awh poor girl. She looks and sounds pretty lethargic, I’m glad she’s going to the vet tomorrow.

Try to get some fluid into her. Maybe mashed pellets with fruit juice or water, a little pedialyte is good if she hasn’t been drinking today.

I’d look up local 24 hour avian vets, if there’s any near you. Just in case she needs to go in earlier.

Wishing you and her the best! :hug8:

fars02

Moving in
Awh poor girl. She looks and sounds pretty lethargic, I’m glad she’s going to the vet tomorrow.

Try to get some fluid into her. Maybe mashed pellets with fruit juice or water, a little pedialyte is good if she hasn’t been drinking today.

I’d look up local 24 hour avian vets, if there’s any near you. Just in case she needs to go in earlier.

Wishing you and her the best! :hug8:
She’s not really drinking anything. How can i encourage her to do so??

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
I'm not much help but I hope your bird's ok. Hope that vet appt is early. I have an old peach faced lovebird I've had to give meds to twice when she was younger. Good idea with the towel. Did you put food right next to her on the towel? Like someone said, moisten it first?

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
She’s not really drinking anything. How can i encourage her to do so??
You can try putting the mashed pellets on a spoon and offering, but because you did say she’s not interested in seed, she may refuse it.

Have you seen her drink or eat anything today?
If she hasn’t had anything and you’re unable to get fluids or food into her; because she is such a small bird, I’d personally check for an ER vet. She may need some supportive care to be safe.

fars02

Moving in
j
You can try putting the mashed pellets on a spoon and offering, but because you did say she’s not interested in seed, she may refuse it.

Have you seen her drink or eat anything today?
If she hasn’t had anything and you’re unable to get fluids or food into her; because she is such a small bird, I’d personally check for an ER vet. She may need some supportive care to be safe.
just a nice update, she recently started eating lots and she drank water! she even walked around for a bit on my carpet before i put her back to rest! if by tomorrow she’s better maybe i won’t ne’er to take her :)

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
j

just a nice update, she recently started eating lots and she drank water! she even walked around for a bit on my carpet before i put her back to rest! if by tomorrow she’s better maybe i won’t ne’er to take her :)
I’m so glad she’s doing better! Fingers crossed for you guys. :hug8:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m glad she’s doing better, but definitely take her to the vet anyway! Young birds and quite vulnerable and fragile.

fars02

Moving in
Just a quick update on Neela: I took her to the vet, which turned out to be a cold and foot injury that occurred in her cage. After lots of heat pads and love, she's better now and back to her happy self. Thanks everyone for your help :)