• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sad rescue intake

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have no idea what that could be other than physical abuse from being slapped upside the head. That may not be it at all- but is definitely possible.

I agree with you about wild caughts - they don't seem to develop some of the emotional issues that our capture raised birds do.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have no idea what that could be other than physical abuse from being slapped upside the head. That may not be it at all- but is definitely possible.

I agree with you about wild caughts - they don't seem to develop some of the emotional issues that our capture raised birds do.
Oh my. I hadn't even thought of that. Now, I'm going to cry again.

I think there's a lot to be said about parrot/parent raised birds. I am sure you've read about how birds like cockatoos are raised in the wild and it's nothing like what's done, usually, when they're raised by people.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I saw that they've uploaded a cute video of one of the toos looking pleased with his new cage and fresh water :heart2: Just thought I'd share for anyone like me who really needed to see some positivity: PearlParrotRescue on TikTok
Yes. The M2 is happy to have toys. And they are all eating well.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I haven't watched the videos. I can't.

MC and Secret were in small filthy cages when I retrieved them. Poo piled up. I did not keep their cages. One was destroyed, the other went to a relative's garden after power washing. MC's water had actual green slime growing in it.

Parrots are resilient.

Breaks my heart.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I saw that they've uploaded a cute video of one of the toos looking pleased with his new cage and fresh water :heart2: Just thought I'd share for anyone like me who really needed to see some positivity: PearlParrotRescue on TikTok
Glad you posted that Khizz good to see some positivity from such dire circumstances

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There's a nice update video of the "Fab Five" on Tik Tok if anyone wants to check it out.
I don’t have TikTok… anyone able to post the update?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Destiny’s link worked for me. :sad2:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I wasn't sure if I want to open this thread, I have done a fair share of rescues and takes awhile for your heart to stop bleeding.
Michelle, you have heart of gold to walk into that confounded mess and get them out of there. I'm glad they are doing well. Please know that if I ever decided to help a my local rescue again. I am going have toughen up my soul to do it.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm concerned about the health of the rescuers. I think they ought to have been wearing better masks, if at all possible. I've been thinking about this.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I wasn't sure if I want to open this thread, I have done a fair share of rescues and takes awhile for your heart to stop bleeding.
Michelle, you have heart of gold to walk into that confounded mess and get them out of there. I'm glad they are doing well. Please know that if I ever decided to help a my local rescue again. I am going have toughen up my soul to do it.
Thanks. I wasn't there though. The adoption coordinator and a woman with experience handling difficult birds did the rescue. I am hopefully meeting the birds this weekend as I have to go to where they are being kept on another matter. The ladies who did the rescue deserve a lot of credit. It was a tough one for sure.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm concerned about the health of the rescuers. I think they ought to have been wearing better masks, if at all possible. I've been thinking about this.
I don't think they knew they were walking into that bad of a situation.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks. I wasn't there though. The adoption coordinator and a woman with experience handling difficult birds did the rescue. I am hopefully meeting the birds this weekend as I have to go to where they are being kept on another matter. The ladies who did the rescue deserve a lot of credit. It was a tough one for sure.
Credit to you all doing what you do