• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sad rescue intake

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
The rescue I volunteer with just took in 5 birds- 2 Amazons, 2 goffins and an M2. Living in the most horrendous conditions I have seen yet. Even worse than the birds they took in this summer living in a van. If the mods okay it, I will post a video later. The rescue is putting one together. It's sad and disturbing. But I think it's important for people to realize the sad plight of some birds and the importance of rescue. I feel like sometimes people have to get tired of me saying adopt, adopt, adopt. But if you see these poor birds, you will understand why. The birds will be up for adoption once they are vet checked, quarantined and assessed. These birds had like a foot of droppings in their cages. The cages couldn't have been cleaned in years. And cats ran loose around their cages. So heart breaking.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
Thank you for helping. I know first hand how heartbreaking it is to see so many birds live terrible conditions. I have so much respect for people like you.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How awful, those poor birds.:(I hope they will be okay and find loving, enriching, stable places to live out their days.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my that's so very heartbreaking:( those poor sweet innocent babies thank goodness they were rescued and will get the love and care they deserve now.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sad :sad14:

I think its good the rescue putting a video together and sharing i personally did not realise how much of a issue neglected birds where before joining AA.

I think a lot of people buy birds on a whim or based on poor info from youtube influencers who have all the answers.

It would be good if you could engage people before they joined the forum as maybe then its to late.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't think we should sugar coat the conditions that some birds have fallen to. I saw so many of this type of situation when I volunteered at the Oasis that I have no patience and no sympathy for the owners.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As a rescuer and fosterer, I can tell you I’ve had owners call me and have me over to collect their surrendered birds. Some have had really difficult situations that life dealt them. I’ve seen people not able to afford their own food make sure their birds still ate well. I’ve encountered severely depressed individuals that haven’t been able to bathe themselves- having matted hair and clothing stiff with dirt caked to their bodies- but spotless bird cages and very clean and healthy birds. And the fact that they make the call and give their companion up to a better situation than they can provide speaks volumes.

So my sympathy for well brained individuals that do this or allow this to happen to any creatures is non existent.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh gosh I did a bit of searching and found pics on the rescues page. I hoped you were exaggerating about the feces.

My heart actually slipped a beat - truly awful.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
What rescue is this? I think it'd take more than a year to accumulate a foot of droppings. That's a lot.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Pearl Parrots rescue. Found a video on Facebook. Awful stuff. Glad the birds are out of there.
What rescue is this? I think it'd take more than a year to accumulate a foot of droppings. That's a lot.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Can’t find the link… of the video.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Certainly not diminishing their horrible situation, but I abstractly/optimistically see this in some of the pictures (knowing they've been rescued)...

...their beauty still shines within the desolation of their surroundings.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It was horrific. However, the birds are doing amazingly well all things considered. I hope to meet them soon. The M2 was really scared but is already coming out of his shell and playing with toys, and one of the G2s already escaped his new cage. Lol.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It was horrific. However, the birds are doing amazingly well all things considered. I hope to meet them soon. The M2 was really scared but is already coming out of his shell and playing with toys, and one of the G2s already escaped his new cage. Lol.
That's really encouraging to hear! Who'd ever think that a cockatoo escaping a cage was a good thing! ;)