• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Sad, my prized boy has a tumor ** GREAT NEWS! Pathology UPDATE**

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I actually think the incision site looks really good, but this is coming from a nurse.
I am so happy that the surgery went well and that your gorgeous baby is now back home with you. :heart:
Thank you! It's not everyday I see this, worse on your own. Thank you for saying it looks good. I will keep an eye on it as to any color changes or infection.

Snapped a last pic for the night. Propped some pillows around his head to keep him from rolling on his side. 20200325_232404.jpg I did get him to eat a water soaked biscuit. :)

We can all now catch some much needed Zzzzs!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Sorry for the gruesome picture. It looks shocking, to me anyway!

Now hopefully we got it all. I am keeping my appt at NCSU if the Vet who reads the report thinks we should go there for any additional treatment.

What a day! And my old Girl had peed 3 times with blood in her urine. So tomorrow our mobile Vet may be another Vet bill.

But I did dose her with leftover Zeniquin a once a day antibiotic also fine for dogs. I just upped the amount of half tablets specific to her weight and mg dosage.

Ugh!
Have you had them in the past look for crystals in her urine to rule out bladder stones? My other Yorkie Briggs ( male) had blood in his urine and it turned out he had bladder stones, not kidney stones. He had to have surgery to remove them and then a Kd diet. I was just wondering.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Have you had them in the past look for crystals in her urine to rule out bladder stones? My other Yorkie Briggs ( male) had blood in his urine and it turned out he had bladder stones, not kidney stones. He had to have surgery to remove them and then a Kd diet. I was just wondering.
This just happened that I saw when I came home at 7. She had one accident on a rug overnight. A good amount of pee. I didn't see any discoloration. This is a first known issue in 12 years with her.

I will dose her again later on today. She ate just fine alittle while ago. I have already been in contact with my mobile Vet. I will keep an eye on her.

Little guy is still hanging in the same spot. He grunts alittle when I stood him up. He doesn't want to stay up.

I just gave him another anti inflammatory pill and a pain pill.

He did eat a tiny piece of roast beef and another water soaked Biscuit. It hasn't been 24 hours since the surgery. I will take him outside to see if he has to pee!

I am sure I will be carrying outside since he is still not wanting to really get up and walk around yet.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don't blame him for not wanting to walk.

Love means you carry him!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I don't blame him for not wanting to walk.

Love means you carry him!
I do whatever is necessary for all of my babies! He's truly my heart.

We left him in the same spot he's still at. Dave said he got maybe 3 hours of sleep. He said Cappy was grunting, and once Dave positioned Cappy to have his legs under himself vs laying like a frog he went to sleep. He messaged me this morning and said "it's okay, he's my boy too" awe!

I will leave him be. He's just resting still. So glad this was done because I can be home with him all the time as he recovers.

What better is there then loving on your pup during this pandemic?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
We just went outside, long pee! Came in and he ate a warm and soft breakfast and drank some water. He's alert and walking around. :)

The drain is now draining alittle now that he's moving around.

We are on the way to recovery!

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
We just went outside, long pee! Came in and he ate a warm and soft breakfast and drank some water. He's alert and walking around. :)

The drain is now draining alittle now that he's moving around.

We are on the way to recovery!
:yah: I’m so happy he is recovering well!!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This just happened that I saw when I came home at 7. She had one accident on a rug overnight. A good amount of pee. I didn't see any discoloration. This is a first known issue in 12 years with her.

I will dose her again later on today. She ate just fine alittle while ago. I have already been in contact with my mobile Vet. I will keep an eye on her.

Little guy is still hanging in the same spot. He grunts alittle when I stood him up. He doesn't want to stay up.

I just gave him another anti inflammatory pill and a pain pill.

He did eat a tiny piece of roast beef and another water soaked Biscuit. It hasn't been 24 hours since the surgery. I will take him outside to see if he has to pee!

I am sure I will be carrying outside since he is still not wanting to really get up and walk around yet.

Aww.. Bless his little heart. I hope he feels better soon.

If you have a small container to catch some of her pee .... you can drop it off at the vet clinic or give it to your mobile vet and have them look at it under the microscope for any crystals. If there are any crystals they may want to do an x-ray to look at her bladder. When Briggs started having to pee really often I wasn't sure what his problem was. I mentioned it to the vet on a check up and they collected a sample of his pee and looked for the crystals...saw them and then did an xray. Bladder stones are quite irritating and make a dog feel like they have to go. Here's a pretty good article about it.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
:yah: I’m so happy he is recovering well!
He is, just carried him out to pee again. He also had a few pieces of water soaked biscuits. I soften them for all so they are softer to eat. Especially him, since a year plus ago lost quite a few teeth with the surgery on his jaw to remove a cyst.

Aww.. Bless his little heart. I hope he feels better soon.

If you have a small container to catch some of her pee .... you can drop it off at the vet clinic or give it to your mobile vet and have them look at it under the microscope for any crystals. If there are any crystals they may want to do an x-ray to look at her bladder. When Briggs started having to pee really often I wasn't sure what his problem was. I mentioned it to the vet on a check up and they collected a sample of his pee and looked for the crystals...saw them and then did an xray. Bladder stones are quite irritating and make a dog feel like they have to go. Here's a pretty good article about it.

Great article. My kitty Abby that passed had bladder stones when she was 3. Yes surgery to correct. Yonah, had the rug accident, and two small pee puddles 3x today. NO blood seen at all, not like what I saw last night She's very comfortable. I really think that once a day antibiotic went to work. I have enough to dose her 4 more days. And I have leftover Clavamox also from Abby's issue late spring last year.

I have looked up both and dogs can use that too. The Clavamox is 6.25 mg per lb the tabs are each 62.5 mg.

I'll use only if I need to. The Zeniquin is a good one. Was specific to e coli bacteria.

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Our evening pupdate. He is perky, and pretty much back to his usual self.

He slips around on the floor after getting up. Once he's up, he seems coordinated. Could be the pain meds keeping him alittle buzzed.

He ate his supper, went out and walked fine outside. Mind you, I carry him out down 2 steps. Peed again and finally pooped! :D

He flopped down and stayed there and ate on his belly :lol:if it works, it works!

My old Girl had not had any late day accidents. The early day (2) there was no blood in it like last night

Hope they are both feeling better, I am one tired Momma!
20200326_190111.jpg

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How are they both today?

Cappy has such a sweet face. I had a tricolour Sheltie called Katie years ago - such a sweet, kind dog.

Dorcas George

Thank you! It's not everyday I see this, worse on your own. Thank you for saying it looks good. I will keep an eye on it as to any color changes or infection.

Snapped a last pic for the night. Propped some pillows around his head to keep him from rolling on his side. View attachment 332011 I did get him to eat a water soaked biscuit. :)

We can all now catch some much needed Zzzzs!
This picture is so sweet. Yep, incision looks good—as incisions go! :heart:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
How are they both today?

Cappy has such a sweet face. I had a tricolour Sheltie called Katie years ago - such a sweet, kind dog.
Oh you did? I just love this breed! Do you have any pictures of Katie you can share?

They are both doing good. He still gets slippery feet under him at times. After he has been down resting. I get him up, I stand him up square on his feet and massage his legs to get the muscles moving. Once he's up he is good. It might be the back feeling tight with the staples.

He has been getting the Gabapentin 2x a day with his meals. Thank you so much for asking!

My old Girl had had no accident in the house and thankful the last one had no blood in her urine since Weds. I just gave her the last of that awesome antibiotic!
This picture is so sweet. Yep, incision looks good—as incisions go! :heart:
It is less swollen today along the suture line. It is healing, and I keep an eye on it. I also wipe the area around the drains. As soon as I suppose the draining stops, I am safe to assume I can remove it.

Otherwise, I am just happy he is home and that awful tumor is gone! Onward healing and hopefully this type of C hasn't spread anywhere. I pray for just the localized tumor.

Thank you! ;)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh you did? I just love this breed! Do you have any pictures of Katie you can share?

They are both doing good. He still gets slippery feet under him at times. After he has been down resting. I get him up, I stand him up square on his feet and massage his legs to get the muscles moving. Once he's up he is good. It might be the back feeling tight with the staples.

He has been getting the Gabapentin 2x a day with his meals. Thank you so much for asking!

My old Girl had had no accident in the house and thankful the last one had no blood in her urine since Weds. I just gave her the last of that awesome antibiotic!

It is less swollen today along the suture line. It is healing, and I keep an eye on it. I also wipe the area around the drains. As soon as I suppose the draining stops, I am safe to assume I can remove it.

Otherwise, I am just happy he is home and that awful tumor is gone! Onward healing and hopefully this type of C hasn't spread anywhere. I pray for just the localized tumor.

Thank you! ;)
That's so good to hear about both of them! I think Cappy might just be feeling sore and stiff, and getting up after he's been resting is just a bit too much for him. I had staples after surgery a couple of years ago, and they definitely felt pretty weird (insofar I could feel anything - the incision was pretty numb). When do his staples come out?

040612Katie.JPG

This was Katie...

Img_2606-small.jpg

And this was her little sister Holly (same parents, different litter).

Katie died in 2007 and Holly died in 2012. They were both very special dogs.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
That's so good to hear about both of them! I think Cappy might just be feeling sore and stiff, and getting up after he's been resting is just a bit too much for him. I had staples after surgery a couple of years ago, and they definitely felt pretty weird (insofar I could feel anything - the incision was pretty numb). When do his staples come out?

View attachment 332261

This was Katie...

View attachment 332262

And this was her little sister Holly (same parents, different litter).

Katie died in 2007 and Holly died in 2012. They were both very special dogs.
Awe, they were beautiful! I hope one day you will get another one to love.

The staples are slated to come out in another 10 days. The Vet said 14 days. Right now I just can't wait to remove the drain. I hope by Monday I can remove it. That would be 5 days. The paper said 3 to 5 but if it is still draining it's gotta stay in.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am watching this thread I wish you well

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Today is the 5th day post op. One suture/staple area on the top is weeping alittle. I am just wiping the area with peroxide and a cotton ball.

I decided to remove the drain. Now I am not squeamish, but this bothered me. I had a hard time seeing the sutures at first. Thankful they were green in color.

I had to snip the 2 sutures attached to the drain and his skin. Well I did that. She told me to just pull it out. Well one side broke! It was barely sticking out. Then I pulled from the other side and whe it all came out.

Now we have some cotton pads I cut up on those two holes. I will remove them later and replace if they are still draining.

Air will be best for the area to shrink and heal.

Other than that, he's doing well. :) 20200330_085520.jpg
Had to improvise, didn't have any medical tape!

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so happy that he's doing well!