• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Sad, my prized boy has a tumor ** GREAT NEWS! Pathology UPDATE**

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Oh and the crazy, cool part was no Vet tech. I was the Vet tech! I didn't flinch at any of it. Just when he felt a few staples, hurt me too!

I kept 1 Gabapentin aside incase and glad I did. I will give it to him in a few hours. He will not feel much for a good 12 hours.

I am sure the local anesthetic is still there, so he's not feeling it right now.

I am happy that they are comfortable allowing me in the backdoor and can work with me standing there.

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
So sorry it's taking a long time to close. That is a tough area. I hope this does the trick and it heals quickly. I'm sure with all that's going on with the world it's delayed the pathology report. Hugs!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
So sorry it's taking a long time to close. That is a tough area. I hope this does the trick and it heals quickly. I'm sure with all that's going on with the world it's delayed the pathology report. Hugs!
I hope this takes too. The skin area is so thin there. Hopefully this does the trick.

She's so available, anytime for us which is great. As for the pathology, I am sure that's the reason why. I would still like to know soon.

We know it's cancer, but what kind of cells. Ones that could have spread, or a localized mass.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I hope this takes too. The skin area is so thin there. Hopefully this does the trick.

She's so available, anytime for us which is great. As for the pathology, I am sure that's the reason why. I would still like to know soon.

We know it's cancer, but what kind of cells. Ones that could have spread, or a localized mass.
I'm guessing it's a localized mass since it's been there ( probably) for a while and he seems to be doing well otherwise. You really couldn't ask for better with her availability! I would think the skin would be thicker in that area but given his age I imagine it's much like older people and the skin is thinner with age....plus, she had to remove a wide margin to get it all. I hope he feels spritely again soon!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I'm guessing it's a localized mass since it's been there ( probably) for a while and he seems to be doing well otherwise. You really couldn't ask for better with her availability! I would think the skin would be thicker in that area but given his age I imagine it's much like older people and the skin is thinner with age....plus, she had to remove a wide margin to get it all. I hope he feels spritely again soon!
Thank you Andrea!
The incision starts literally right after the shoulder bone. It's an odd area with some movement, and the roll of fat if you can say so with the slope to the back.

I hope and I pray this is his last ever medical issue, the rest is just a blissful and happy time with me.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you Andrea!
The incision starts literally right after the shoulder bone. It's an odd area with some movement, and the roll of fat if you can say so with the slope to the back.

I hope and I pray this is his last ever medical issue, the rest is just a blissful and happy time with me.
I had forgotten to tell you I saw Paul... the man in my neighborhood with esophageal cancer walking his miniature poodle "Shadow" about 10 days ago ( such time loss here lately ...all the weeks seem to be running together). I don't know if you remember me telling you about the large lump on her head over her left eye. He took her back to the vet and had it removed. Initially, he wasn't going to do anything about it and if she went downhill was going to have her put to sleep. Given his terrible situation, he looked at her records again and saw that she was 13 yrs old instead of 15. He needs her company now more than ever so he had the surgery done in hopes of having her around for a few more years if even just a couple years. I asked him if he knew what it was and he said he didn't want to know. I understand... he doesn't need any bad news given his current health issue. I'm glad he at least had the lump removed. Shadow seemed fine... faithfully trotting along with him. He's lost 30 lbs. He's doing good to be out walking, it might not be every day but he's trying.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I had forgotten to tell you I saw Paul... the man in my neighborhood with esophageal cancer walking his miniature poodle "Shadow" about 10 days ago ( such time loss here lately ...all the weeks seem to be running together). I don't know if you remember me telling you about the large lump on her head over her left eye. He took her back to the vet and had it removed. Initially, he wasn't going to do anything about it and if she went downhill was going to have her put to sleep. Given his terrible situation, he looked at her records again and saw that she was 13 yrs old instead of 15. He needs her company now more than ever so he had the surgery done in hopes of having her around for a few more years if even just a couple years. I asked him if he knew what it was and he said he didn't want to know. I understand... he doesn't need any bad news given his current health issue. I'm glad he at least had the lump removed. Shadow seemed fine... faithfully trotting along with him. He's lost 30 lbs. He's doing good to be out walking, it might not be every day but he's trying.
I am happy to hear your Neighbor is out walking, and that he took care of his little companion. I hope they both have more years together!

And you know, I found the bump back in mid Dec, as he's on the exam table at NCSU for his eye. He had that blood spot on the lens, wanted to rule out anything bad. And it was an immune related thing called a stromal something. Eye drops and it was gone a few days later.

Thoughts do go through your head when you think of their age. Not wanting to subject them to pain, healing etc. I get this.

My first thoughts were maybe a cyst. Maybe an older dog fatty tumor. I didn't like the color, seemed hot. But as the Holiday's approached, with all going on I decided to see if it changed. Well it did, the color went to a pinkish, blue knowing it was being fed a blood supply.

So that's when I consulted the mobile Vet for an aspiration later Feb.

My first choice was going to State, but that didnt happen with the current situation. I knew it could no longer stay regardless. I don't think I waited too long, and hope I didn't. But I understand this Man's thinking when we think of our babies age. Unknown to me of how old he is.

August is 6 years with me. The rescue estimated Cappy to be 6 or 7. I think he was 5, he could be 11 or 13!

Either way, I knew I just haven't had him long enough in my life. And just daily hope and pray it's gone for good. And as bad as the staying home is, I am truly loving it and being able to have this long break to be with him and all my other pets.

I thank my stars, that I am here with them each day as he deserves, not running in and out working etc. I am totally enjoying this lockdown because I have never had this much time to relish our company all day everyday like this!

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad Paul was able to get an operation on his buddy.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Pathology came back to this mass being Sarcoma. The good thing is all of it was completely removed, meaning margins around the mass were clean.

The grade of this tumor is unknown. I am waiting for the actual report to read it, so I can send it back to NCSU. Reading about soft tissue sarcoma, thankful this was a surface issue of connective tissue, rather than one that would have gone unforeseen like internal until it's too late and nothing can be done.

I am thankful to know what it is, but now need to see what grade this tumor was as in low grade or highly aggressive. Our recovery is well, the incision is healing VERY nice and hope the staples and two sutures will be out next week. Hair is coming back in and he's eating and acting fine. BLESSED I am.

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
Pathology came back to this mass being Sarcoma. The good thing is all of it was completely removed, meaning margins around the mass were clean.

The grade of this tumor is unknown. I am waiting for the actual report to read it, so I can send it back to NCSU. Reading about soft tissue sarcoma, thankful this was a surface issue of connective tissue, rather than one that would have gone unforeseen like internal until it's too late and nothing can be done.

I am thankful to know what it is, but now need to see what grade this tumor was as in low grade or highly aggressive. Our recovery is well, the incision is healing VERY nice and hope the staples and two sutures will be out next week. Hair is coming back in and he's eating and acting fine. BLESSED I am.
This is very encouraging news! :hug4:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
This is very encouraging news! :hug4:
So far, yes it is. Although, I was told that they can come back. I am remaining openly optimistic that this is behind us. I emailed her back on the email she sent was a web portal with the lab that I do not have access to.

I really just want to know the grade of this tumor. If low grade, WHEW we will/should be okay!

This is some reading I have been doing.

Understanding and Successfully Treating Soft Tissue Sarcoma in Dogs
Soft tissue sarcomas refers to a category of malignant tumors that develop from the skin and subcutaneous connective tissues such fibrous tissue, fat, smooth muscle, nerves, and lymphatic vessels. These types of tumors are often grouped together due to there similar characteristics.

Sarcomas are common in dogs and account for approximately 15% of all canine cancers. Most sarcomas are considered very invasive to the surrounding areas but generally have a lower risk of metastasis.

Conventional Treatments for Soft Cell Sarcoma in Dogs
Complete surgical removal is the preferred treatment for soft tissue sarcomas if possible. When these type of tumors are excised surgically with “clean” surgical margins, no further treatment may be necessary. An inspection of the excised tissue may be performed by a pathologist in order to determine if all the tumorous cells have been removed or if a second more aggressive surgical procedure is needed.

Prognosis
The prognosis often depends upon the grade and the location of the tumor. For cases where complete surgical removal is possible, then the outlook can be very promising.

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fingers crossed for Cappy!

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
This is encouraging news .Thankfully it's not lymphosarcoma. Keeping positive thoughts this is a low grade lymphoma with clean margins. I had a sweet Boxer dog "Rocky" that we adopted from the Boxer rescue that developed lymphosarcoma, he also had mast cell cancer. He was sweet boy , it was a very difficult heart breaking time for us.
I'm hopeful you're prognosis will come back favorable.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Praying it's the 'low grade' sarcoma. My experience going through it with one of my beloved dogs was with the more invasive sarcoma.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Today Cappy's staples were removed and the last of the sutures. I got the Path report and since the Vet isn't open yet, I snapped the pics from my phone off her laptop.

The report diagnosis: Liposarcoma In other words a cancerous fatty tumor.

Margins: 1.3 cm lateral 1 mm deep
Mitotic index: 3
Liposarcomas are uncommon, and can be locally invasive and rarely metastisize. Common sites include the subcutis of of the ventral thorax, abdomen and proximal limbs. These masses usually occur in older dogs.

I still hope and pray we dodged a bullet here.

I am happy that it was all removed, by the margins and the mitotic index being quite low as cell division of cancer cells and normal cells.

:D