• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Sad, my prized boy has a tumor ** GREAT NEWS! Pathology UPDATE**

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Could radiation be an option too?

Keep the University appt on the books if you can just in case this vet doesn't do cancer treatments (but let's pray its benign).

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Could radiation be an option too?

Keep the University appt on the books if you can just in case this vet doesn't do cancer treatments (but let's pray its benign).
It is malignant, the tumor. I am keeping the appt at the Vet School as to follow up along with whatever suggestion Maria makes.

I just dropped off my sweet boy. He's in good hands and I know her. I feel confident, and I am going to be sad when I see how much hair is shaved :(

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Maria called 10 mins after dropping him off. She asked if anyone ever heard a heart murmur. I said no, she said they do see this in older dogs.

As a precaution, they were going to do an bi lateral xray to make sure he doesn't have an enlarged heart. That was about an hour ago. I am sure his heart is fine, I would have heard back by now.

Oh I just love my boy!

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Praying for your baby.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
My thoughts and prayers are with you :heart:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It is malignant, the tumor. I am keeping the appt at the Vet School as to follow up along with whatever suggestion Maria makes.

I just dropped off my sweet boy. He's in good hands and I know her. I feel confident, and I am going to be sad when I see how much hair is shaved :(
Don't worry about the fur they'll shave off Claire.... it grows back. I had the same thoughts when Jesse had to have major surgery as a pup ( 3 1/2 months old) to correct his ureters. He leaked urine because the ureters were ... ah heck, I don't know how to explain it any more. It was micro surgery.... they had to make a 13 inch incision on his belly to correct the issue. They shaved one of his legs for the iv.

There's a man in my neighborhood that faithfully walks with his miniature poodle "Shadow"... she's so faithful he never walks her on leash. She stays right with him. I hadn't seen him in a while and one day I was out front when he came by with shadow. She's shy and usually doesn't come up to me but sometimes she does. I saw something weird on her head and thought it was a leaf. I was like "Paul.. what is that!" A tumor of some sort almost as big as a golf ball right over the top of her head near her left eye. Smooth round and shiny looking.... pinkish brown. He said she's had it for a long time and it's grown for some time. He said, she's 15... if it becomes a problem for her he'll put her down. Paul is not an old man but probably early 70's, seems like a very nice person as he's lived in our neighborhood for years. Maybe they don't have the income? Paul was diagnosed with esophageal cancer a couple months back and hadn't gone through surgery yet the day I saw Shadow. He has a lot to think about, go through with chemo and radiation after surgery. So, I shared this story because the tumor on this dog has been growing for quite some time and hasn't affected the quality of her life ( yet) and she's lived a long life.

I shared Shadow's story because not all tumors are bad and I still have hopes your boy Cappy will be long lived and happy. Hugs for you!!!!!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Andrea, she just called. He's waking up. There is a drain in there. She will show me how to remove it.

The margins were wide but she said they got it all. We will see what the pathology says as to the type of cancer.

She said we can follow up with State after the path is back if we need to.

As for your Neighbor, some look at the dogs age as a big factor on pursuing care. That's too bad, but I am sure he weighed the odds especially he himself having cancer.

Whew! I go get him around 6
Can't wait to see my sleepy little guy.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
We are home and he is still loopy but perking up.

He won't stay standing up, so he's out where he can see me. He's on a towel since he's drooling. He has a drain in and I will remove it after 3 to 5 days.

Now we wait for the pathology and go from there. There were wide margins taken so she said she got it all.

Looking ugly it is! I was told, if a suture opens up, I call her cell. Watch the skin for any change in color as in necrosis or infection. Good thing she owns the Hospital she can meet me there. She said do not go to any ER! I call her.

And to top it off, I think my older blind Girl has a UTI! ugh, thankful I have Zeniquin onhand leftover from my old cat Abby before she passed.

20200325_184216.jpg
20200325_184229.jpg
Now onward to healing! Staples come out in 14 days.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Sorry for the gruesome picture. It looks shocking, to me anyway!

Now hopefully we got it all. I am keeping my appt at NCSU if the Vet who reads the report thinks we should go there for any additional treatment.

What a day! And my old Girl had peed 3 times with blood in her urine. So tomorrow our mobile Vet may be another Vet bill.

But I did dose her with leftover Zeniquin a once a day antibiotic also fine for dogs. I just upped the amount of half tablets specific to her weight and mg dosage.

Ugh!

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Good thing you're home!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Good thing you're home!
Good thing we got this done! They just announced on their FB page they are closing temporarily due to protecting their staff.

I know she's a text message or phone call away if I truly need her. The Hospital is next door to her home so meeting me there God forbid, can happen if she's needed.

Thankful I decided after all these years to break the biz to personal relationship and have her become my go to for office procedures.

Last edited:

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I just found your post Claire, so glad they got the tumor and he is home.!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank goodness it's all said and done. Fingers crossed it's nothing so serious that treatments can't squash any bugs if needed. He still looks beautiful and even though they had to shave a good portion of fur it had to be done and in months time it will all be back like it never happened. It's not ugly at all... you wanna see what my leg looked like? A big ... long... zipper!!!! Hugs to Cappy!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
He is finally sleeping. He's staying like this for the night.

I hope to see my bright eyed 20200325_224901.jpg little nugget in the morning, will feed and give him his meds.

Yonah is now resting comfortably. I think the antibiotics may be giving her relief hopefully. I already emailed my mobile Vet letting her know we might need her for my old Girl.

Thankful, Bella is fine she's next to me on the couch! Time for bed it has been a day I do not want to repeat, ever.

Thank you all for the comfort, the posts to help me get by this ordeal part 2.