• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Run free Cuda

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This is exactly why we didn't keep her around waiting for that to happen with the lungs. She lived, she had a 1 lb ribeye, a ride then went to sleep still feeling good.

It sucks, and yes we take in our loved ones precious ones!
I think you did the best thing for her giving her the best day ever while she was feeling great. My next door neighbor had the biggest German Shepherd I've ever seen. His name was Moses. I hope someday she will get another. I loved his giant bark.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
We did similar for Moms mostly Charpai? Bear. When they knew his time was up we all came over and loved him up and fed him every forbidden thing he wanted, he had a great day and was as happy as he could be and went to the vet the next morning.
You did the best you could and she was happy :sadhug:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I think you did the best thing for her giving her the best day ever while she was feeling great. My next door neighbor had the biggest German Shepherd I've ever seen. His name was Moses. I hope someday she will get another. I loved his giant bark.
It was sad for sure. The house isn't the same. The other two are working out their dynamics. Older Jett 11, Beetle 3. They miss her, as we do too. She was the action here, in the middle of it all, the leader. They seem lost. Beetle is more skittish then he's been. He still has fear issues, still working with him. I feel this was setback like he thinks maybe he will go away too.

It will be some time before we add another dog. It will have to be a young dog 1 and under or even a puppy. Part of me wants a GSD, maybe a Mal mix, the dream dig Belgian Tervuren or Belgian SheepDog. You never see them in rescue though.

Just one day at a time. Cuda was robbed of a longer life with this type of cancer so damn cruel!

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm so very sorry for your loss, Claire. I, too, lost one of my beloved GSDs to osteosarcoma. Such a terrible cancer diagnosis to endure.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It was sad for sure. The house isn't the same. The other two are working out their dynamics. Older Jett 11, Beetle 3. They miss her, as we do too. She was the action here, in the middle of it all, the leader. They seem lost. Beetle is more skittish then he's been. He still has fear issues, still working with him. I feel this was setback like he thinks maybe he will go away too.

It will be some time before we add another dog. It will have to be a young dog 1 and under or even a puppy. Part of me wants a GSD, maybe a Mal mix, the dream dig Belgian Tervuren or Belgian SheepDog. You never see them in rescue though.

Just one day at a time. Cuda was robbed of a longer life with this type of cancer so damn cruel!
It takes a long time to adjust for us when they're gone. I can't imagine for some animals the difficulty. One of my heart dogs was a German shorthair pointer, my dad's dog but he lived with me because my dad wasn't great at keeping a dog safe ( contained in a yard). We named him "Tallahassee Quick Step" after my brother ... it was his CB handle back in the mid 70's - he died in a car wreck in '78. Tally was a great dog. We had to put him to sleep when he was 12 and suffering from lung cancer. I was really struck by your mention of Cuda having the osteosarcoma in her leg. I just think it odd for a dog to have that disease in their leg and wouldn't have guessed it in a million years that our Jesse had cancer in his leg until the X-rays. Cancer has no bounds and such a sneaky disease.

Poor Beetle. I hope he finds his courage and finds comfort in Jett's company. He's a beautiful boy! Gosh.. the Mal is so smart. It seems I've seen a mix lately or might have been a video. It will likely be a dog that chooses you but boy oh boy... the Belgian Tervuren... is gorgeous and very loyal.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
It takes a long time to adjust for us when they're gone. I can't imagine for some animals the difficulty. One of my heart dogs was a German shorthair pointer, my dad's dog but he lived with me because my dad wasn't great at keeping a dog safe ( contained in a yard). We named him "Tallahassee Quick Step" after my brother ... it was his CB handle back in the mid 70's - he died in a car wreck in '78. Tally was a great dog. We had to put him to sleep when he was 12 and suffering from lung cancer. I was really struck by your mention of Cuda having the osteosarcoma in her leg. I just think it odd for a dog to have that disease in their leg and wouldn't have guessed it in a million years that our Jesse had cancer in his leg until the X-rays. Cancer has no bounds and such a sneaky disease.

Poor Beetle. I hope he finds his courage and finds comfort in Jett's company. He's a beautiful boy! Gosh.. the Mal is so smart. It seems I've seen a mix lately or might have been a video. It will likely be a dog that chooses you but boy oh boy... the Belgian Tervuren... is gorgeous and very loyal.
Thank you, Beetle had it rough as a puppy. He grew up into a loving dig, but still carries these fears. Yup, fears with somethings enough to snap even at me. A warning, a hey!!! Stop that, but nonetheless I leave him to decompress and come back when he wants the attention again.

He's definitely off without her here, the battle for main attention and control is gone. He's lost with this. Jett was resource guarding her treats she never did that much before until now.

It is really going to take some time with them.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I'm so very sorry for your loss, Claire. I, too, lost one of my beloved GSDs to osteosarcoma. Such a terrible cancer diagnosis to endure.
Totally horrible! Beautiful and active on the outside, sick on the inside. Very hard to take!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Heartbreaking to lose one of those guys anyway you look at it.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Heartbreaking to lose one of those guys anyway you look at it.
Any loss is sad. Loss to an aged senior, sad but a life long and well lived. Losing a vibrant dog, active, happy as if nothing is wrong is so hard.

Bone cancer is cruel. The fastest and most aggressive and always terminal. I will never be one to amputate anything on a dog to prolong life that will still be lost to this.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you, Beetle had it rough as a puppy. He grew up into a loving dig, but still carries these fears. Yup, fears with somethings enough to snap even at me. A warning, a hey!!! Stop that, but nonetheless I leave him to decompress and come back when he wants the attention again.

He's definitely off without her here, the battle for main attention and control is gone. He's lost with this. Jett was resource guarding her treats she never did that much before until now.

It is really going to take some time with them.
Such a shame for Beetle. There are dogs with feelings and some dogs... just don't seem to care about anything. The dogs who show their shame for shredding the house and those that wag their tails and almost smile from ear to ear as if to say... "Look!!! Look what I did!!! I had a great time!" I've never spent any time around any herding breeds. Though some shepherds were used as herd guards... Moses would drag poor little Jane over to see me when they went for walks. He would sit between us usually with a foot or his butt on my foot. That was his way of guarding her so I never moved my arms around in talking so he wouldn't think I would touch her. As friendly as he was outside of his fence I found out one day when we were talking through her wrought iron fence that you should never reach through to pet the dog. Inside that line was his space.... he snapped at me. I never wanted to go in her house. :cautious:

Much like Beetle our little male yorkie ( now 12) can't stand to be babied in my arms and God forbid I should want to kiss his little head. Lord help me Jesus there's a demon in that little dog. He even gets bent out of shape if I try to look for a flea on him. Nasty little critter jumps off my lap snarling like a wild wolf. Such a piece of work and quite the little weirdo.. He loves me when it's time to eat. Bugger. :D

Did Beetle herd Cuda around at all? He's still a young boy. He'll learn his place with Jett. Wishing those two furries blessings over their loss.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
So sorry for your loss

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Such a shame for Beetle. There are dogs with feelings and some dogs... just don't seem to care about anything. The dogs who show their shame for shredding the house and those that wag their tails and almost smile from ear to ear as if to say... "Look!!! Look what I did!!! I had a great time!" I've never spent any time around any herding breeds. Though some shepherds were used as herd guards... Moses would drag poor little Jane over to see me when they went for walks. He would sit between us usually with a foot or his butt on my foot. That was his way of guarding her so I never moved my arms around in talking so he wouldn't think I would touch her. As friendly as he was outside of his fence I found out one day when we were talking through her wrought iron fence that you should never reach through to pet the dog. Inside that line was his space.... he snapped at me. I never wanted to go in her house. :cautious:

Much like Beetle our little male yorkie ( now 12) can't stand to be babied in my arms and God forbid I should want to kiss his little head. Lord help me Jesus there's a demon in that little dog. He even gets bent out of shape if I try to look for a flea on him. Nasty little critter jumps off my lap snarling like a wild wolf. Such a piece of work and quite the little weirdo.. He loves me when it's time to eat. Bugger. :D

Did Beetle herd Cuda around at all? He's still a young boy. He'll learn his place with Jett. Wishing those two furries blessings over their loss.
Yes! Beetle tried to herd Cuda. She was larger but a herder herself. She had patience for him and even though he annoyed her, she was still nice to him.

They are lost alittle. Still figuring it all out. She was a huge presence here, center of it all. Active, on the go, go, go. That action has us all like geez :( since she's been gone.

Beetle took a few backstopping, but I started giving him a calming treats and they are working, taking that edge off. We will use them for both as they learn this new norm that stinks!

And the jekyll and Hyde, yes, the fear of the partial whale eye, stare is sad to see. Someone was mean to him as a tiny puppy I am sure. Nothing here but positive reinforcement is all I can do. And let him go off to chill and shake it off after he's snappy.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yes! Beetle tried to herd Cuda. She was larger but a herder herself. She had patience for him and even though he annoyed her, she was still nice to him.

They are lost alittle. Still figuring it all out. She was a huge presence here, center of it all. Active, on the go, go, go. That action has us all like geez :( since she's been gone.

Beetle took a few backstopping, but I started giving him a calming treats and they are working, taking that edge off. We will use them for both as they learn this new norm that stinks!

And the jekyll and Hyde, yes, the fear of the partial whale eye, stare is sad to see. Someone was mean to him as a tiny puppy I am sure. Nothing here but positive reinforcement is all I can do. And let him go off to chill and shake it off after he's snappy.
Hopefully Beetle will adjust in a shorter period of time. It's good you have the calming treats to take the edge off of the anticipation he must be feeling waiting on her to show up. As a human, I think I can understand the thought process of expecting to see them come in or think you will see them in their usual spot. I know that feeling too well and there is no time limit on how long it takes to adjust to them being gone. It brings back the memory for me of how my yorkie Briggs loved stealing food from Tally the GSP. When Tally was gone we removed his bed and x-pen in the kitchen. Briggs never once went over and sniffed around Tally's area.... he did't miss him one bit.

Lucky for Beetle, he has an awesome mom that gives him exactly what he needs.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hopefully Beetle will adjust in a shorter period of time. It's good you have the calming treats to take the edge off of the anticipation he must be feeling waiting on her to show up. As a human, I think I can understand the thought process of expecting to see them come in or think you will see them in their usual spot. I know that feeling too well and there is no time limit on how long it takes to adjust to them being gone. It brings back the memory for me of how my yorkie Briggs loved stealing food from Tally the GSP. When Tally was gone we removed his bed and x-pen in the kitchen. Briggs never once went over and sniffed around Tally's area.... he did't miss him one bit.

Lucky for Beetle, he has an awesome mom that gives him exactly what he needs.
This has been a tough one. Like no other loss before with other dogs. I mean for the dogs. Sensitive they both are, bonded they all were.

This really isn't good. Beetle really is quieter, but baby steps for reassurance. Same with Jett.

All I can do is ensure they get lots of love and attention to get through this.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss of Cuda.