• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ruby

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
So I went to work today as I do every sunday, said hello to my other family and went to work on preparing food. Moments later I heard a flutter and a crash and ran into the other room to see Ruby (Scarlet Macaw) on the bottom of her cage showing neurological signs. I immediately called my employer and insisted that she needed to be seen NOW. I watched her carefully so I could tell the vet everything I knew about her situation. She was bobbing her head in an odd manner, she wasn't perching correctly, she had no ballance, and she was pulling herself across the perch with her beak. I took her to the Emergency vet in Oakdale and they took her into the back and got her warm and on Oxygen. Four hours later they said they didn't know what was wrong with her and gave me a list of options and all the pricing for those options. I called my employer and told him so he called his regular vet directly. Five minutes later the decision had been made to put her down to end her suffering. I was heart broken needless to say.

I went into see her and she was laying on her belly clearly in distress. We stared into each others eyes for a long time before I left. I could see in her stare that it was time. I selfishly wanted to give her treatment and antibiodics and an over night stay to give her the benefit of the doubt, but after sharing our moment I knew it was time. She seemed at peace with her fate and that was what really hit me hard. She was 25 years old or more and almost entirely naked from plucking. I felt terrible for her pain and suffering, almost as if it were my fault and not the fault of some horrible neurological disease.

I wasn't able to be with her when they put her down because I wasn't allowed to be due to the way they perform the procedure; but I was with her spirtually until the end. She was a beautiful baby and she will be truely missed.

Fly free my wonderful Ruby. I did not know you well, but I loved you all the same. May the rainbow bridge bring you peace.

For those of you reading this please do not use the word loss in your replies... she is not lost, she is simply waiting at the rainbow bridge. Death is a part of life, there for we live forever.

Thank you in advance for all of your sympathy and kind words, they are appreciated endlessly.

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Oh Erica! I am literally in tears reading this. I know your heart is broken but I am so glad that you got to share that last moment with her.:sad2:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:hug8:

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
Thank you Kathy and Martine. I am saddly more effected by animal death than human death, it has something to do with the way they greet you when you go to them, and the way they look at you when they know it's time to leave you.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fly free sweet Ruby.

southernbirds

Erica...you are a beautiful and spiritual person. Ruby is with you in whispers of the wind and the sunlight that shines to warm us in those moments when we need comfort. Thank you for sharing her story with us. We will always remember Ruby, the Scarlet Macaw.

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
It is a tough decision to make but it sounds to me as though she helped you make that decision. Fly free sweet Ruby until you are once again flying in front of those who love you.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Fly free Ruby :hug8:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I am saddly more effected by animal death than human death, it has something to do with the way they greet you when you go to them, and the way they look at you when they know it's time to leave you.
I am the same way sometimes. You are right, the way they look at you and the special bond you have with them, that you can't have with any other pet. I am so sorry.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I'm sorry to hear about this.:hug8: Just think how gorgeous she must be at the Rainbow Bridge fully feathered.
Fly Free Ruby

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am sorry for your loss dear...fly free Ruby fly free..surely the angels in heaven are rejoicing, for on e of their own has come home.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh Erica, I'm s sorry.

Attachments

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
:( Fly Free Ruby!

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
Thank you all. Today is not easy at all but yesterday was worse. SO I guess I'm thankful that I have at least a few hours of sleep between then and now.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am really sorry but I know she knew you were with her in spirit. May she fly free now. :hug8:

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
I'm so sorry!! I know how it feels for such a dear feathered friend to cross the bridge. At least remember she is free of any pain and she knew you were there to look after her and love her. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.