• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ruby Macaw - Seymour hopefully

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
With a little luck we will be adopting Seymour, a Ruby macaw, from Iowa Parrot Rescue. We still have the house inspection to survive, but have high hopes.

Shy of a BTM appearing at IPR, I don't see myself with another macaw anytime in the foreseeable future.

We visited Seymour earlier this week and he is perfect: a 28 year old male, beautiful, in perfect health, doesn't pluck, and gave me kisses. What's not to like? <smile>

Seymour came across as a perfect gentlemen - willing to climb on my arm, but not insisting on going to my shoulder (although I'm fine with him being there).

Only quirk is that he is cageless, spending the past couple of years on a hanging branch construction (think like one of those fancy tree stands except upside down). We are in the process of making one for him from local hickory. Despite having access to all the space at IPR, the only time he is off the perch is if he is fooling around and falls off.

Looking forward to this!

Anyone have words of warning or other advice? This will be my 2nd macaw, my first being a GW that I lost contact with due to a divorce 15 years ago.

Wife and I are already looking to replace our gold wedding rings with titanium ones...

Kevin

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
That's exciting news!

I purchased a couple hanging setups that sound like the ones you describe; kinda like this?

1620533110390.png
(example from a local ex-furniture maker who creates them out of pesticide-free apple wood)

I've created riggings to suspend them from which allow hanging additional toys, ropes, etc.

I really like hanging setups so the mess falls straight to the floor to be collected, and minimizes the staining on lower branches (because there aren't any if it's built right).

Getting ready is a fun project, but so is changing things when you actually watch them interact with the setup and notice something isn't quite right. :)

You'll do great!

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
That's exciting news!

I purchased a couple hanging setups that sound like the ones you describe; kinda like this?

View attachment 382181
(example from a local ex-furniture maker who creates them out of pesticide-free apple wood)

I've created riggings to suspend them from which allow hanging additional toys, ropes, etc.

I really like hanging setups so the mess falls straight to the floor to be collected, and minimizes the staining on lower branches (because there aren't any if it's built right).

Getting ready is a fun project, but so is changing things when you actually watch them interact with the setup and notice something isn't quite right. :)

You'll do great!
Yep - something like that. Ours will just be local hickory- bark on for future enrichment.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! I hope everything works out. :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Good luck!