• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rubbing alcohol

thoffmann

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Troy Hoffmann
Can iuse rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle to kill dustmites in rooms my birds don't go in? Is it safe for furniture even though the will be on the furniture after it dries?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Can iuse rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle to kill dustmites in rooms my birds don't go in? Is it safe for furniture even though the will be on the furniture after it dries?
If your birds aren't in the room and you open some windows it may be ok. It depend on how far away from the birds the room is, and how much you use. Rubbing alcohol will evaporate quickly and shouldn't be a problem after use, as in if your birds lands in the furniture the next day, they will likely be fine. It may damage the wood though. You could dust with warm water and a wash cloth, removing dust will naturally curb dust mites. And warm water is safe for birds even nearby.

Cleaning around your house is all about balancing how close you are to the birds, opening windows and not using products/sprays anywhere near them. It is also important to avoid all candles and perfumed products. Using rubbing alcohol in another room with open windows is probably going to be fine. Be smart about it, as you would anything around the birdies.

thoffmann

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Troy Hoffmann
Thank you. I don't allow aresols, candles, perfumes, colognes, or any covers prays in my house. I use only cast iron and stainless steel to cook with. I also use baking soda I buy in 2 pound boxes as my air freshener and carpets cleaner. I just wadnt sure about the rubbing alcohol. And that is what we do best right? If we don't know we ask. Thank you again
Casper, Maxi, & Coco. 2 grays and a too

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
If they are in your bed which typically they are. I was told NOT to make my bed every day by a top rated allergy doctor. The reason to not make your bed is to let it air out, dry out. Dust mites love warm, humid environment.
And unless you have dust mite covers on mattress and box spring both,they will get into them. You can steam clean your mattress and encase your box spring allergy cover.