• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Royal Canin 10+ Medium dog food review

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I switched all of my seniors to the Royal canin 10+ and I have to say, we are onto bag #2 of the 30 LB size. It only comes in 30 LB lol, and it is only available to purchase online via Chewy.

My dogs LOVE it. What I have found is this food is great for seniors. It has a special shaped kibble with a hole in the middle for older teeth. It is hydratable, so I have always pre-moistened their food anyway. It softens and doesn't expand that big (which is easier on their gut)

The one thing I am going to state here is what I have found to be amazing.

My old blind Girl Yonah has had and issue of having pee accidents in the house. This was weeks ago before they were on this food completely. She could not go through the night, ever! I was either woken up hearing her walk around, bump into things. I would get woken up 3 am, 4 am or 5. Sometimes before I was able to get her out, she had already pee'd. :(

I give her this food, softened. She still gets some grain free biscuits. Her food is a grain inclusive food. I went back to grain a few years ago long before the DCM (dilated cardio myopathy) came to light with grain free foods.

The rave? Well I can tell you that the last few weeks I can go to bed at 10, 11 or later and she makes it through the night until 5:30 or 6 am. Sometimes later if we go out later around 11:30

But hours she can maintain and have no accident up to 7 hours some nights! I feel that the ingredients and the present fish oils, vegetable oil is doing the trick with her cognitive function for a healthier aging brain.

I recommend this food for anyone who can get it if you have a very old senior. Mine is with me over 12 yrs now, but was estimated to be no younger then 3 or older than 5 back in 2008.

Cappy, Bella also eat it and they are 100% fine. Even though Cappy had the cancerous tumor removed, after talking to NSCU oncology, she suggested food with grain over keto.

Happy dog Mom here! :flowgdnc:

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
It's always so nice to find a good food. I'm on a new one with the foster dog, but just a couple of days in... His allergies are so awful. I had to flood him with benadryl last night so we could both sleep. I need to send him outside in a hazmat suit!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Allergies are no fun with dogs. If you can narrow it down as to what the triggers are, you will both get relief!

Are you fostering for a rescue that can pay for allergy testing?

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Allergies are no fun with dogs. If you can narrow it down as to what the triggers are, you will both get relief!

Are you fostering for a rescue that can pay for allergy testing?
No, he was a few streets away, and I declined, but she asked me to take him knowing that I would not be his forever home. The tech suggested that I wipe him down, I think it's the Bermuda grass, it's in florescence now. He's going to get an injection if there's not improvement this week. Poor guy. I'm going to do my oatmeal trick tomorrow to get the exterior inflammation down. I realized I missed two days of his turmeric, and it's a dramatic difference. I added hemp oil last week too.

I might try a different formula of that brand. Thanks for the review!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
No, he was a few streets away, and I declined, but she asked me to take him knowing that I would not be his forever home. The tech suggested that I wipe him down, I think it's the Bermuda grass, it's in florescence now. He's going to get an injection if there's not improvement this week. Poor guy. I'm going to do my oatmeal trick tomorrow to get the exterior inflammation down. I realized I missed two days of his turmeric, and it's a dramatic difference. I added hemp oil last week too.

I might try a different formula of that brand. Thanks for the review!
Yes, keep me updated on this. Would love to see pictures of him!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
IMG_20200709_024430.jpg

He oozes like this every night.

I wish I could sleep like this...
IMG_20200702_213933.jpg